You are not logged in.

#1 2011-03-10 07:08:55

cb474

Conflicting notifications daemons - Gnome and Xfce4

I use Gnome, but want to try out Xfce. When I try to install it I get this warming from pacman:

xfce4-notifyd and notification-daemon are in conflict. Remove notification-daemon?

Removing notification-daemon doesn't seem like a great idea since Gnome needs it.

I found an old thread where someone was having the same problem, but the other way around, an Xfce user wanting to try Gnome. https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=77694 The suggestion was to just uninstall xfce4-notifyd and reinstall it once the person was done trying out Gnome.

I can do that, but shouldn't it be possible to have more than one desktop installed on a Linux system at the same time?

I see that Redhat considered this a bug back in 2009 and patched it. https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=500513

#2 2011-03-10 08:10:51

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: Conflicting notifications daemons - Gnome and Xfce4

pacman -Si xfce4-notifyd | grep Provides

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2011-03-10 08:43:06

cb474

Thanks for the reply. I don't know what "provides" means in this context. Could you explain a little?

#4 2011-03-10 09:18:37

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

man pkgbuild

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#5 2011-03-10 09:51:06

cb474

Okay, I get it. Thanks.

#6 2011-03-10 10:05:42

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Please mark your thread solved if it has been. And you're welcome smile

#7 2011-08-29 22:54:26

hadrurus

For all those not exactly impressed by standard RTFM&GTFO info:
xfce4-notifyd provides notification-daemon
So it should be safe to replace notification-daemon with xfce4-notifyd (just trying out XFCE while using Gnome.
I guess OP never actually tried pacman oneliner provided earlier smile

regards

/* Never laugh at a live dragon, Bilbo you fool! */

Board footer