You are not logged in.

#1 2011-08-30 03:56:34

RetroX

Keyboard Shortcuts for PulseAudio Volume

GNOME 3 offers keyboard shortcuts for audio volume in PulseAudio (GNOME 2 did as well).  This means that I can raise, lower, or mute the volume with single keystrokes.  It'll also show an image of a speaker with a volume bar while I'm doing this, and while I don't care as much about looks, I'd prefer to be able to see what level that the volume's at while I'm changing it.  I have a desktop, not a laptop, so, my keyboard doesn't have any multimedia keys.

Unfortunately, I'm not actually using GNOME 3 - I'm using Compiz standalone, with xfce4-panel and gnome-settings-daemon running in the background.  I'd prefer to not have to run the GNOME daemon in the background, because it messes with my settings, but I don't want to go without the nice audio shortcuts that GNOME 3 provides.  Are there any decent alternatives that I can use?

Forgive me if this is the wrong forum, but I think that this is more of a DE issue than an audio issue.

#2 2011-08-30 04:17:00

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Keyboard Shortcuts for PulseAudio Volume

I use this script
with xbindkeys.  You could also use compiz's command interface with it's key bindings (can be set in ccsm)

I use cairo-dock with the Sound Control applet to display the volume.  You might try to use Conky to display the current volume.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer