You are not logged in.

#1 2011-08-30 07:50:02

gnomeye

[SOLVED]Does Openbox really need Consolekit?

I'm sorry if I'm not getting it right away, but for which real reason does Openbox need to be started in .xinitrc with this command "exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch openbox" to get auto-mount to work?

I read throught the Wiki of Openbox and Consolekit, but I can't really understand it.

In the Wiki of Openbox it's described like this:

If you also use polkit and D-Bus (e.g. for auto-mount drivers in Nautilus/Gnome) use:

exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch openbox-session

I use openbox as a standalone WM and got thunar installed. I tried yesterday to remove consolekit and start openbox just by this command "exec openbox-session"  auto mount worked for me without problems, as soon as I plugged in my usb-sticks thunar would mount them automatically, no permissions issues either.

The Description of Consolekit in the wiki is clear:

ConsoleKit is a framework for managing user sessions and permissions. Some of the most common usages of consolekit is allowing non-root users to mount removable media and suspending/shutting down the computer through common desktop applications (ie: thunar, nautilus, the gnome shutdown menu, etc).

But as I said, Thunar is mounting automatically without having consolekit installed.

Another thing: Is it only me, or are all this ck-launch-session threads slowing down my desktop when consolekit is running?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by gnomeye (2012-04-17 11:53:06)

#2 2011-08-30 08:05:55

Wittfella

Re: [SOLVED]Does Openbox really need Consolekit?

Hey, yeah same here.  I never bothered with consolekit/policykit/blahblah either and run standalone openbox with no problem.  Udev works fine automounting things.  Never understood why they are supposedly needed.

#3 2011-08-30 08:15:31

Awebb

I start consolekit via slim, so all I had to do was kill slim and run my session with startx. Thunar does not automatically mounts drives, neither in Openbox, nor in Compiz standalone.

I suspect something is summoning consolekit or a leftover dbus-session somehow still has the rights. I was once told, that the only way to stop dbus from running even after the session terminates is this:

exec dbus-launch --exit-with-session ck-launch-session {_session_}

Hurrdurr. Definitly consolekit at it's best...

#4 2011-08-30 08:34:09

gnomeye

I removed the package consolekit, so there is no way ck-launch-session is running. Automounting with thunar works just fine, I also think udev is doing it just fine. So why bothering starting with ck-launch-session if you see no use in it?

Last edited by gnomeye (2011-08-30 08:34:31)

#5 2011-08-30 12:13:57

lukaszan

gnomeye wrote:

I removed the package consolekit, so there is no way ck-launch-session is running. Automounting with thunar works just fine, I also think udev is doing it just fine. So why bothering starting with ck-launch-session if you see no use in it?

As far as I know, Thunar needs consolekit for automount. Never worked for me otherwise.

You must have something else automounting the drives.

#6 2011-08-30 13:27:12

gnomeye

Perhaps gvfs?

EDIT:

yes it's gvfs automounting... without the package gvfs it doesn't work. So I'll keep gvfs installed, and automount with it.

I'll also keep starting openbox with the command "exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch openbox-session" I just don't really know why. If someone could explain a good reason why it's better to start it with consolekit, I would appreciate it.

Last edited by gnomeye (2011-08-30 18:55:13)

Board footer