You are not logged in.

#1 2011-08-30 12:36:50

filam
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Updating Software RAID or LVM Article

Unfortunately the Wiki is rather large and from what I've experienced articles don't tend to be "watched" very much. With that in mind I was hoping to start a discussion on the Talk page of Installing with Software RAID or LVM article. If you have a Wiki account please leave a message there, otherwise feel free to leave a note here about the edits I plan on making or any improvements you would like to see.

Before making major revisions to an article it's good etiquette to get multiple opinions. If you have a moment please leave a message.

#2 2011-08-30 15:35:55

lilsirecho
Veteran

Re: Updating Software RAID or LVM Article

Perhaps my experience with raid0 software raid is appropo.

I prepared a five devices raid system using the 2010.05 dual .iso and devised a bootable raid0 system using Compact Flash devices.  EDIT:  I used FTP install and grub2.................

The key to this is to utilize ...alt-f2... to create the madadm raid array in standard form just after partitoning the flash devices.  Usual practice is to prepare the partitions in identical sizes so I parttioned all five with partition#1 as 100MB and partition#2 (remaining space) to be used as a raid element.

In my system, one 100MB partition is designated as swap, and another as boot.  The raid0 mdadm block device is designated as root.  I did not set up a home partition but such is optional.

Because my system is running in a 4GB x86_64 computer, I feel 100MB swap will never be encountered.  This allows the install procedure to be straightforward with 100MB provided when the install asks for swap.

The system runs at 306MB read speed in hdparm and the five 16GB Compact Flash devices generate 79GB of storage.  I have obtained a write speed of a GB file transfer of 120MB/s as a personal attempt at testing write speed.

I recently upgraded the raid0 array to linux-3.0 with no problem using pacman.

Thus my system runs in root, bootable, raid0...strictly as an experiment.  I have hdd backup and also Live system for same purpose.

Last edited by lilsirecho (2011-08-30 15:37:02)

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#3 2011-08-30 16:09:18

filam
Wiki Maintainer
Website

lilsirecho wrote:

In my system, one 100MB partition is designated as swap, and another as boot.  The raid0 mdadm block device is designated as root.  I did not set up a home partition but such is optional.

Thanks for the comment lilsirecho. I previously came across a thread where you mentioned that and added it to the Additional Resources section. As noted on the Talk page, it doesn't seem as though a separate swap array is necessary and may even hurt performance.

#4 2011-08-31 03:24:04

lilsirecho
Veteran

I used it to make the install run smoothly with no quirky changes to avoid a smooth install.  The 100MB is very minimal and I state it will never be used with my 4GB ram which is very true.

Others have the options since archlinux is for all users.

Hope you have good hunting in your upgrades for the wiki.

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

Board footer