You are not logged in.

#1 2011-08-31 01:12:26

vesrah

New-ish install won't boot

I installed the current arch release a few days ago - wouldn't get me through the installer and I managed to find out that having hyperthreading enabled on older Intel (P4 era) chipsets won't let the kernel boot.  Anyway, last night the server locked up at some point and I rebooted it today.  It never came up so I plugged a monitor in to investigate.  It appears the system hangs up at "Booting the kernel." with a blinking "_" on the next line.  I tried the fallback kernel and it hangs at "initrd /initramfs-linux-fallback.img" with the same blinking "_" following.

Any ideas?
Thanks.

#2 2011-08-31 02:09:52

keith_hanson

Re: New-ish install won't boot

I'm actually having the exact same problem in my Macbook. Installed over this past weekend, working fine yesterday.

The power completely drained (I've yet to get a battery monitor installed, and didn't notice it), and shut off. After rebooting into Arch just now, I'm seeing this happen.

I also inserted my Live CD and, surprisingly, am having the same issue there as well...

If there's any other information I can provide on my setup, feel free to let me know! Thanks!

#3 2011-08-31 02:15:12

vesrah

Well, as an update to my post I removed the drive and put it back in - not even recognized now.  The drive appears to just be dead.  It was a 320gb Maxtor from almost 10 years ago with well over 6 years power on time via SMART data.

Last edited by vesrah (2011-08-31 02:16:52)

#4 2011-08-31 02:49:45

keith_hanson

Wow! Well, that's certainly not the problem here (at least I hope not).

I'm on a single drive in my Macbook, with a partition dedicated to Arch Linux. So I'm still experiencing the issue here sad

Will give it some working on tonight.

Board footer