You are not logged in.

#1 2011-07-03 18:52:19

dbaugh
Website

Linksys WMP11 Wireless Card Setup (Prism 2.5 chipset wlan-ng drivers)

I just finished setting up my first Arch Linux box on an ancient desktop of mine.  It is running so suprisingly fast and I am loving it so far.  I learned a ton working trough the guides too.  Anyway, I am having issues setting up my wireless card.  Currently, I am sharing my laptops wifi with my Arch desktop but I would like to use my acutal PCI card. 

The card is a Linksys WMP11.  I used to lspci to find that it is using the Prism 2.5 chipset.  I consulted the Wireless Setup guide

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wi … bsolete.29

This informed me that my card is supported by the wlan-ng drivers.  My card is supported on the hardware list:

http://www.linux-wlan.org/docs/wlan_adapters.html.gz

I have searched around the official Arch repositories and the AUR and I can not find this package.  The Wireless Wiki page states to use tools within the wlan-ng26-utils package.  I can't seem to find this package.  It does say wlan-ng is obselete.  Is it no longer maintained?

I also downloaded the drivers directly from

http://www.linux-wlan.org/

However,  I ran into issues when trying to run make configure.   The value it generates for the Linux source path is invalid. 

So, I am out of luck since the packages don't appear to exist, or is it possible to compile and install the drivers from source?  How do I tie this into pacman?

Thanks

#2 2011-08-31 03:21:09

highlandthunder

Re: Linksys WMP11 Wireless Card Setup (Prism 2.5 chipset wlan-ng drivers)

Hope this helps. I have the same chipset and have been searching on and off for the past three days for the answer - here's the simple thing that got mine working.

in /etc/rc.conf modify the modules line to include wpa_supplicant

MODULES=(wpa_supplicant)

in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf add the following line (create this file if it doesn't exist)

blacklist iwconfig

Now you should be able to activate and configure your card via wpa_supplicant. Here is a sample of my wpa_supplicant.conf

ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=wheel
# WEP in Shared Key mode
network={
    ssid="MyRouterEssid"
    scan_ssid=1
    key_mgmt=NONE
    wep_key0="MyCustomKey1"
    wep_key1="MyCustomKey2"
    wep_key2="MyCustomKey3"
    wep_key3="MyCustomKey4"
    wep_tx_keyidx=2
    priority=5
    auth_alg=SHARED
}

And here is the wpa_supplicant command line to start it manually

wpa_supplicant -B -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -i wlan0

BTW, I also have these two lines in the /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf file

blacklist orinono
blacklist orinono_pci

I have not had time yet to verify if this is not needed (was part of previous attempts to get wifi to connect) but wanted to let you know in case it is part of the stuff needed to get these cards working with the newer wpa_supplicant. Of course this configuration is for a WEP Shared Key configuration. I have also not had time yet to test whether or not this will work in WPA mode. I suspect not in my case because the firmware I have on my card is pre-wpa on the Prism 2.5 series. We'll see.

-Brian

Board footer