You are not logged in.

#1 2011-08-27 00:15:54

aznsmartj0ck

Empathy 3.0.2 Chat Windows

Hi All,

I'm having trouble getting Empathy 3.0.2 to behave in Gnome Shell.  Whenever I chat with someone, Empathy will open two chat windows per conversation, one of which isn't functional.  The non-functional one only displays messages from the other person.  While this doesn't really impair functionality, it does get slightly irritating, and would be great if a workaround was available. 

I have all the latest system updates, and have installed all the telepathy packages.  I've looked around in Empathy's preference window with no success.  Any ideas? 

Thanks.

#2 2011-08-27 10:24:47

ScionicSpectre

Re: Empathy 3.0.2 Chat Windows

Which architecture are you on? Also, is your Empathy or GNOME Shell patched, or using a newer than stable package? Also, if this is only a recent issue, it may be an issue with the configuration of the program, although I doubt there's a setting for multiple chats opened. I'll go scrounge around to see if I can find similar bug reports in the meantime.

#3 2011-08-27 19:05:12

aznsmartj0ck

x86_64, i'm running gnome from the main repos.  I just switched from xfce/pidgin to gnome3/empathy and i've had this issue since the first time i launched empathy.  There's nothing in the settings dialog that i found....Thanks!

#4 2011-09-02 00:43:17

ScionicSpectre

Hm, well it sounds like it may very well be an issue with how GNOME Shell handles IM notifications. I have largely the same set up as you, but without any major issues. All I've done is install Empathy and GNOME 3 from the stable packages, as you have, and installed all the telepathy plugins. Also, the Empathy configuration files are fairly sparse on closer inspection, so there's nothing I can see as having an effect on the situation, although you could wipe .config/Empathy just for good measure to regenerate those files.

I haven't found any similar bugs, so it may be something to report on the GNOME bugzilla, and see if there is any output from empathy on the CLI that may give a hint as to why this is happening. Also, how do you launch the chat conversations? Through the Empathy window, or the Shell? When exactly does the second window appear?

#5 2011-09-02 01:10:22

Durden

This has to be a broken config file somewhere. I'd wipe .config/Empathy and start over from scratch. I have the same setup and it works perfectly on mine. Could you possibly put up some screenshots so we can better understand what you are seeing? Also, launch it fromt he commandline and copy/paste error messages here so we can see them.

Board footer