You are not logged in.

#1 2011-09-01 16:37:49

biltong

[solved] wpa_supplicant issues

Hey all,

I've just installed arch along side ubuntu 10.04 on my HP nc8000 laptop. So far all is well, I've installed lxde and it works fine. I'm having issues getting my wireless to work properly though.

I'm forced to use the madwifi drivers because they're the only ones that work on my laptop. ath5k fails to associate with my AP at home, it seems to time out and think my psk is wrong even though I'm 100% sure it's correct. Same thing happens in ubuntu, I actually filled a bug for it.

Now I used the source package (svn r4149) I used in ubuntu, installed linux-headers, compiled and loaded the drivers and the module loads fine, but iwlist ath0 scan shows no results, and when I check iwconfig it shows my card is running in the 5GHz band while my AP is in the 2.4GHz band on channel 11 (I think).

I think because of this, when I run wpa_supplicant -Dwext -iath0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf it sits there and does nothing at all. I am left with a blinking cursor till I ctrl+c.

I looked around on google and apparently there is a madwifi package in pacman but pacman can't seem to find it. I've also tried setting setting channel and mode manually using iwconfig but that doesn't seem to do anything.

dmesg doesn't show anything useful.

Any ideas?

Last edited by biltong (2011-09-01 19:16:36)

#2 2011-09-01 17:13:12

karol
Archivist

Re: [solved] wpa_supplicant issues

Madwifi has been dropped to AUR https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?K=madwifi

#3 2011-09-01 17:16:50

MoonSwan

I'm going to save you a bit of trouble and ask the obvious questions I know others will likely ask of you anyway:

- What are you using to connect to the net, IE netcfg, networkmanager... ?
- Please paste your wpa_supplicant's relevant lines
- Please paste the relevant output of lspci that shows what network card you're using
- do your logs show anything useful, dmesg aside?
- did you look at the AUR for a driver?

*makes mental note that I should make these questions into a macro*  big_smile

Edit: shakes fist at Karol, you've ruined my carefully crafted quiz for the newbie!  Damn you!

Last edited by MoonSwan (2011-09-01 17:17:37)

#4 2011-09-01 18:08:49

biltong

1) wpa_supplicant on it's own so far. At the moment I'm forced to use either a wired connection or my windows box.
2)

network={
ssid="wlan-ap"
psk=not typing this out
}

3)Atheros AR5001X+, ar5212 chipset on mini pci card
4)Not sure where other logs even are XD Only been using ubuntu for like 2 months now.
5)Nope, I assumed the SVN snapshot I had would work on any distro. I'll give that a shot now.

EDIT: Okay the AUR one worked fine. Do people edit the AUR specifically for arch? I ask because it looks like it just grabbed the latest SVN and then ran make && make install like I did with my snapshot. Unless there are other thing's I'm missing. big_smile Thanks for the help big_smile

Now I'm gonna work out why dhcp isn't working tongue

Last edited by biltong (2011-09-01 18:28:57)

#5 2011-09-01 18:37:50

MoonSwan

Great!  Edit your first post's title and put [Solved] into the heading of this thread.  Good luck!

#6 2011-09-01 19:17:12

biltong

Seems like a nice community here smile Think I'm going to enjoy arch big_smile

#7 2011-09-02 22:19:22

karol
Archivist

biltong wrote:

EDIT: Okay the AUR one worked fine. Do people edit the AUR specifically for arch? I ask because it looks like it just grabbed the latest SVN and then ran make && make install like I did with my snapshot. Unless there are other thing's I'm missing. big_smile Thanks for the help big_smile

Not sure what package are you referring to here - madwifi?
You can see what exactly is being done by looking at the PKGBUILD (so yes, there may be something specific to Arch) https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/ma/madwifi/PKGBUILD
Of course packages from official repos are also built from PKGBUILDs and you can view them too.

Board footer