You are not logged in.

#26 2011-08-28 21:48:13

moetunes

Re: Simple Dynamic Tiling WM using XCB

@mhertz Cheers for still trying this . the  :: bluckywm : 1362X746  is bluckywm's start message so the wm is running. Don't know why you're not seeing anything... are you setting a wallpaper or the mouse in .xinitrc? if you don't you won't see anything 'cause the window manager doesn't do anything if there is no window to manage. try setting an 'xterm &' before exec /path/to/bluckywm
@el mariachi To get the mouse pointer working you need a line in ~/.xinitrc like

xsetroot -cursor_name left_ptr

I always use the apps own method for shutting down and the kill_client was just meant to kill an unresponsive window.
Hint: I made an alias in .bashrc that has alias Q=exit so I do 'Q+enter' to kill urxvtc

Last edited by moetunes (2011-08-28 21:52:11)

You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me.

#27 2011-08-28 21:55:19

moetunes

here's how I start things from ~/.xinitrc

starter="exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch --exit-with-session "

numlockx &
# change the mouse settings
xset mouse 2/1 0
xsetroot -cursor_name left_ptr
# clear the evergrowing thumbnails dir
rm -rf ~/.thumbnails
fbsetbg -l &
## fbsetbg -f '/home/pnewm/images/cool2.jpg' &
urxvtd -q -f -o
# urxvtc &
# start me-tv-server
#~/bin/my-me-tv-server

## for DMiniWM
conky -c ~/build/dzen_conky | dzen2 -y 1006 -bg '#101010' &
# $starter ~/build/DMiniWM-0.0.8/src/DMiniWM
$starter ~/build/luckywm-0.1.4/beluckywm

Last edited by moetunes (2011-08-28 22:01:20)

#28 2011-08-28 22:18:06

bernarcher
Forum Fellow

moetunes,
I removed that inadvertent double post of yours.
Shit happens. Thanks for the report.

To know or not to know ...
... the questions remain forever.

#29 2011-08-28 22:44:08

moetunes

@ bernarcher Cheers for that smile
@ el mariachi No top panel in your screenshot ?

On another note : I've changed the Makefile so the executable comes out as beluckywm since it seems that I'm sticking with that name for now and bluckywm looks weirdish like el mariachi said earlier...

#30 2011-08-28 23:40:25

moetunes

@mhertz Glad you got it sorted and cheers for persisting with it smile
@el mariachi Gimp works ok here it just won't accept being tiled atm(I'll work on getting that sorted out) You can cycle through the gimps window and docks with the keys you use to cycle through the window managers windows' so for now I move all the gimp windows to an empty desktop just to makes things easier. It does look like it isn't usable tho with the last dock opened fullscreen and no picture to edit...

#31 2011-08-29 12:37:19

el mariachi

Getting better Moe big_smile I really have to learn C and help you out.
No bar atm because I'm still configuring dzen to my taste, don't worry those LOCs won't go to waste.

BTW: Youtube videos (and any other flash video) will only work fullscreen if the mode is set to fullscreen, using any of the tiling modes won't. Not a huge problem, just a heads up.
Gimp is better wink

#32 2011-08-29 18:47:50

moetunes

@el mariachi I don't watch much flash video but I went to watch a vid on youtube and clicked for fullscreen in the bottom right corner of the vid, it opened in a new window and I made it fullscreen with the keyboard. Using a simple window manager that's trying to stay under 1000 sloc means finding some workarounds... wink

Kindovaroadmap : For so few lines of code the window manager is very stable, very fast and offers lots of usability options.
                           Only things left to sort out are the destroynotify event not parsing all the desktops for the destroyed window
                           and adding keysyms so setting up the keyboard is less of a hassle. I'm thinking that'll take it up to 1000 sloc
                           and will give me a good base to fork this and start another window manager with floating windows and all the
                           other stuff people like to have available. If there's anything else that comes to mind that I've missed by all means
                           give a shout out about it big_smile

Cheers

p.s. It seems alot of the lagginess I was experiencing with firefox opening a new page in this forum was down to the syncronous nature of xlib since now I'm using a xcb window manager this forum is a whole lot quicker to access (mostly). I thought it was slow servers powering the forums... Cheers

#33 2011-08-29 19:02:57

el mariachi

Oh I wasn't complaining about the video thing tongue just warning you.
It seems I'm the only one using a bar (or wanting to), so if you need those extra lines just drop it, I'll keep a fork for myself wink (srsly wink)

#34 2011-08-29 19:10:53

moetunes

Never thought you were complaining el mariachi, I came up with a way that worked here and thought I'd share it smile
There's only about a half a dozen lines involved in having an option for the bar at the top so it's no burden at all. I'm glad you mentioned it since I've used a bottom bar for most of this century and had completely missed about bars being at the top... smile Cheers for that

#35 2011-08-29 19:20:40

el mariachi

wink
If XCB is faster than Xlib why are most other wm's using the latter?

#36 2011-08-29 20:08:13

moetunes

el mariachi wrote:

wink
If XCB is faster than Xlib why are most other wm's using the latter?

Xlib is more mature and has had more people working on it for longer afaik. If you look at the code for awesomewm (which uses xcb(and alot of other things too)) you'll see it isn't easy getting keysyms working with xcb - awesomewm had to include xlib to get the keysyms working...

#37 2011-08-29 20:36:40

el mariachi

I see... good thing I don't mind going the extra mile for the keys then big_smile

#38 2011-08-30 11:40:41

moetunes

Is this getting over the top ?
tYTRmYQ
How many terminals are too many...? big_smile

Last edited by moetunes (2011-08-30 14:23:27)

#39 2011-08-31 17:51:34

el mariachi

those aren't that much.. do you use all of them though? or was it just for the screeny?

btw: when you switch from vertical to fullscreen mode and then alt+j, the window to which you switch isn't displayed in fullscreen but rather in it's tile, overlapping the former window. Is this a feature or a bug?

#40 2011-08-31 20:15:01

moetunes

That screenie was just to show that the grid mode will show up to nine windows, I have six terminals open on desktop one when I login tho.
toggle_fullscreen, which is the function used to get a window fullscreen, is only meant to toggle a window fullscreen, it's not a tiling mode. That was added to catwm fairly early and I've not bothered with it much 'cause I only use it for watching vids wink I'll see if I can get it to cycle through the windows and make each one fullscreen as it's brought to the front if you like. smile
Cheers

#41 2011-08-31 20:34:18

moetunes

Well that only took 4 extra lines smile Pushed it to git as it seems to work fine here.
Cheers

edit : I thought that was too easy... I had to add a couple of lines to the update_current function so the windows in the stack had borders after coming out of fullscreen mode. Let me know if you find any other anomolies with it or anything else thanks smile
Cheers

Last edited by moetunes (2011-08-31 20:57:01)

#42 2011-08-31 21:09:49

el mariachi

Efficient as always! Everything working wink thanks mate big_smile

#43 2011-09-02 23:28:37

el mariachi

I only noticed it now.. moving the mouse over different windows won't activate them :s

#44 2011-09-03 00:50:41

moetunes

el mariachi wrote:

I only noticed it now.. moving the mouse over different windows won't activate them :s

Yes I removed that 'cause it was annoying the crap outta me !
I'd change desktops and whatever window the mouse was over would get focus which mostly was not the one I left having focus.
I'm working on making it friendlier as it is handy to have at times. wink
Cheers

#45 2011-09-03 01:31:51

el mariachi

Oh ok! it doesn't bother me much, just some times. What really bothers me is the kill_client function hmm I know I'm being a pain about it, but didn't the original catwm did it right? Or can't that bit be taken and adapted from dwm? I'm sorry I can't help with the coding, I'm starting to learn how to code, and it will still be a while until I can contribute something productive.
And to end this well.. tongue sometimes I still get the "zombie window syndrome".. I can't find a way to replicate it yet, but will inform as soon as I can wink

#46 2011-09-03 02:45:25

moetunes

el mariachi wrote:

Oh ok! it doesn't bother me much, just some times. What really bothers me is the kill_client function hmm I know I'm being a pain about it, but didn't the original catwm did it right? Or can't that bit be taken and adapted from dwm? I'm sorry I can't help with the coding, I'm starting to learn how to code, and it will still be a while until I can contribute something productive.
And to end this well.. tongue sometimes I still get the "zombie window syndrome".. I can't find a way to replicate it yet, but will inform as soon as I can wink

It won't be hard to make a "nicer" kill client function, Ive got most of the code there already so I'll give it a push in a bit.
To make a zombie window, open something on desktop 2, then open a terminal on desktop 1 and pkill the something you opened on desktop 2 and then change to desktop 2 and open something to see it not go fullscreen... if you have a download window or something close on a desktop that isn't open that will make a zombie window too. At this stage I move them to desktop 5 as a way of dealing with them. I can't find a viable way yet to parse all the desktops on the destroynotify event, so the application will disappear but the window manager still has a window remembered on that desktop. (I know what I mean... tongue)
Cheers

#47 2011-09-03 03:31:53

moetunes

I made the kill_client function nicer smile I only tested it by rebooting (to see what extra memory was used) and opening leafpad and typing a q , then I hit the keyboard shortcuts for kill_client and a save changes dialog came up. I think that's what you're after? It's on git now if you want to test it out wink
Cheers

edit : There are changes in the Makefile so be sure to use the new one
         Cheers again

Last edited by moetunes (2011-09-03 03:33:21)

#48 2011-09-03 08:34:19

el mariachi

Thanks Moe! Nice and smooth now! Is it using more ram now? It doesn't seem like it in this end.

#49 2011-09-03 22:32:45

moetunes

From ps_mem.py it was using 166kB here after booting into it now it uses 212kB which is a 25% increase but it still is very light in my opinion. Ironically adding to the wm and making it use more memory this time produced a net drop in mem used when first booting into the desktop - around 2mB here. So... seems like a good thing to me cool
Cheers

Last edited by moetunes (2011-09-03 23:19:39)

#50 2011-09-04 01:04:28

el mariachi

it cut 2mb or are you using just 2mb?! <:O
humm yeah 200ish kb here too. 25%.. but did you add anything else besides the kill_client bit?

Last edited by el mariachi (2011-09-04 01:05:22)

Board footer