You are not logged in.

#51 2011-06-11 10:22:50

skodabenz
Banned

Re: UEFI boot with Intel P67 (Sandy Bridge) motherboard

balta2ar wrote:

Yesterday I connected another SATA disk. There were FAT32 partitions also. Windows 7 failed to boot after that. It offered me to insert installation DVD and try to repair. I did that, but there were no option to repair installation.
Is it possible to fix windows loader in such cases? The installation is perfectly fine, but disk number (or even partition) has changed.

Rename <WINDOWS_ISO>/sources/ei.cfg to ei.cfg_ and recreate the iso using oscdimg or rename the same file in the USB in the previous post.

Last edited by skodabenz (2011-06-11 10:26:04)

My new forum user/nick name is "the.ridikulus.rat" .

#52 2011-06-24 12:51:13

rype89

Okay i installed the kernel and it can boot up now, but I still have 2 issues.

1. I can't get to the grub2 menu. I am only able to get to the grub shell and have to boot manually everytime.

2. Upon boot, i get to kdm and I can't login because my keyboard/mouse don't work. Even numlock doesn't work. My keyboard works in single user mode though.

#53 2011-07-25 13:23:28

ngo

Hooray!
With the new 3.0 kernel my lenovo x220 laptop now successfully boots in efi mode.
Everything is working just fine, noefi is not required.

#54 2011-08-15 17:43:05

SiD

akakey wrote:

I had to load 'efivars' into archboot manually, but it works.

How did you do that?

#55 2011-08-15 18:15:37

skodabenz
Banned

@rype89:

1. https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=124213

2. Seems like Xorg issue, not related to UEFI.

#56 2011-08-15 18:18:43

skodabenz
Banned

@SiD: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=124097 . Try "modprobe efivars"

#57 2011-09-03 04:38:07

spoked

This is my first post on this board, so greetings to all. I am trying to install arch on a thinkpad t420s with GPT partitioning and UEFI boot. I have gone through browsing all the documentation i could find for many hours now...

I first partition with gdisk, Created a 200MB partition with EF00 type, EFI System Partition. Second partition, ext4 filesystem for /.

Then, go through the install. (Is there something I should be watching out for here?)

I skip the Install Bootloader.

make sure internet connection working
mount -o bind /dev /proc /sys
modprobe dm-mod
chroot to /*install*

pacman -S grub-efi-x86_64 (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB2#UEFI_systems)
here, config, create efi app

modprobe efivars

results in no error, loads fine if i check lsmod

efibootmgr -v (or, other command to write .efi)

still gives me the error of being unable to access device, try 'sudo modprobe efivars'

i have done a couple of tries with debian wheezy and now arch, 2011.08 iso and 2011-R5 archboot. It seems a few have succeeded in booting with efi. Hopefully, you can help me find the issue here... it has come to my understanding that if the installer is not loaded with efi, the kernel will not be configured to use those modules. When switching the BIOS UEFI option from both (legacy & uefi) to uefi only, i am unable to boot the installer on usb or cd. Could this what is not allowing me to use efibootmgr? I am also unable to boot to UEFI shell (from https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/UEFI#UEFI_Shell) if i put it in /*efi partition*/boot/efi/

Last edited by spoked (2011-09-03 04:39:00)

#58 2011-09-03 07:32:48

SiD

Have you tried to boot the Arch ISO in UEFI Mode and then run efibootmgr ?

p.s.
I switched from UEFI / Grub2 to Syslinux to boot from a GPT partitioned SSD. Works perfectly.

#59 2011-09-03 15:27:42

dhave
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

@spoked: I'm running Arch on a Thinkpad T420 from a gpt-partitioned SSD booting efi via grub2.

For installation, I set my T420 to boot efi only, and I was able to boot using Archboot 2011.08 2k11-R5 via an external usb cd drive.

My 200Mb efi partition is fat32 (shows as vfat) and is mounted at /boot/efi.

My grub.efi and grub.cfg are in /boot/efi/efi/grub/.

Last edited by dhave (2011-09-03 15:31:23)

Donate to Arch!

Tired? There's a nap for that. --anonymous

#60 2011-09-03 16:31:42

skodabenz
Banned

spoked wrote:

2. efibootmgr -v (or, other command to write .efi)

still gives me the error of being unable to access device, try 'sudo modprobe efivars'

i have done a couple of tries with debian wheezy and now arch, 2011.08 iso and 2011-R5 archboot. It seems a few have succeeded in booting with efi. Hopefully, you can help me find the issue here... it has come to my understanding that if the installer is not loaded with efi, the kernel will not be configured to use those modules. When switching the BIOS UEFI option from both (legacy & uefi) to uefi only, i am unable to boot the installer on usb or cd. Could this what is not allowing me to use efibootmgr? I am also unable to boot to UEFI shell (from https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/UEFI#UEFI_Shell) if i put it in /*efi partition*/boot/efi/

Try 2011-R6 archboot. 2011-R5 had few problems booting in UEFI systems which were corrected in R6 (2011.08-2 iso). Also for efibootmgr to work, you should have booted the kernel in UEFI mode. Archboot 2011.08-2 should work. Official Arch iso (AIF based) does not support UEFI.

For UEFI Shell can you try one of the following paths <EFISYS>/shellx64.efi , <EFISYS>/efi/shellx64.efi , <EFISYS>/efi/boot/shellx64.efi (or if all of them fail <EFISYS>/efi/boot/bootx64.efi ) where <EFISYS> is the EFISYS partition mountpoint (mostly /boot/efi ). Tell me which of the path works in your firmware. The first one is reported to work in most of the Sandy Bridge systems using AMI firmware (ASUS motherboards mainly).

#61 2011-09-03 17:18:16

dhave

@ skodabenz: Where are you finding Archboot 2011-R6? I thought 2011.08-2 was 2011-R5. I figure 2011.09 is due any day now. Is that what you mean by R6?

Thanks.

Donate to Arch!

#62 2011-09-03 19:14:03

skodabenz
Banned

dhave wrote:

@ skodabenz: Where are you finding Archboot 2011-R6? I thought 2011.08-2 was 2011-R5. I figure 2011.09 is due any day now. Is that what you mean by R6?

Thanks.

@dhave: Oops. I thought 2011.08-2 was R6 . Anyway i don't know what exactly is the problem in spoked's system. Only thing i can think of is that he has booted in bios mode, not in uefi mode. Can you post the complete steps you followed for UEFI in your Thinkpad, preferably in a wiki page?

#63 2011-09-03 19:36:21

dhave

skodabenz wrote:

@dhave: Oops. I thought 2011.08-2 was R6 . Anyway i don't know what exactly is the problem in spoked's system. Only thing i can think of is that he has booted in bios mode, not in uefi mode.

That does seem to be the most likely problem, since he said he wasn't succeeding in booting the installation CD via efi.

skodabenz wrote:

Can you post the complete steps you followed for UEFI in your Thinkpad, preferably in a wiki page?

I would really like to, but I'm afraid that both times I successfully installed Arch in a UEFI-GPT-grub2 configuration, I mangled things. I ended up using both the installation disk's bootloader (possibly glitchy?) *and* installing the bootloader manually. As a result, I can't sort out which way got the job done. I didn't document my steps carefully enough, so I'm not able to be much help to my fellow Archers, I'm afraid.

But I do know that it was essential to boot the installation cd via efi, and, to make sure of this, I set my machine to boot efi-only.

Where I'm less clear is how to get the bootloader properly installed. I'm reluctant to start from scratch, although I do have a small SSD that I may test with when I have time.

Donate to Arch!

#64 2011-09-03 19:51:35

skodabenz
Banned

@dhave: When you do test, try grub2-uefi installation from Archboot setup and post the result, before trying manually. Especially whether the setup script detects the EFISYS partition correctly, mounts it at /boot/efi and after setting up grub2, creates a boot entry using efibootmgr?

#65 2011-09-03 23:53:57

spoked

Thank you all for your responses.

To my understanding, I have not yet been able to boot an installer with UEFI. This is why i cannot use efibootmgr.

I am using the latest archboot 2011.08-2 release. I am focusing on trying to boot this with UEFI. I have found this :
https://gitorious.org/tianocore_uefi_du … I_boot_USB
which should help. If I just use Arch on the USB, is there any config file for me to edit for it to work?

In the Thinkpad BIOS, in the boot startup options, there is the option to boot from Legacy, UEFI, or both. I have not been able to boot anything (installer, os) with this setting at UEFI only. Option Both works, but I presume it is loading with BIOS.

My SSD is partitioned with gdisk with GPT partitioning.
First partition is 200MB, EFI System Partition type, formated vfat, mounted to /boot/efi.
Second partition is Linux Filesystem type, formated ext4, mounted to /

I'll post back if I am successful at booting installer with UEFI. Any additional help is more than welcome big_smile thanks again.

#66 2011-09-04 00:54:25

spoked

Success!

I was able to boot the archboot iso with UEFI from USB, by formatting the USB to fat32 and extracting the iso to that partition. From there, I had all the right steps, all the way to efibootmgr finally succeeding to do its job.

I am willing to explain further if anyone gets stuck trying to do UEFI + GPT.

Thanks again to everyone for the excellent information!

#67 2011-09-04 01:10:41

ewaller
Administrator

spoked wrote:

Success!...

Terrific. Please go ahead and edit your first post add [SOLVED] to the beginning of your thread title.  The moderators don't do it for you, because we don't really know when things are resolved.

Thanks

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#68 2011-09-04 01:55:33

dhave

ewaller wrote:
spoked wrote:

Success!...

Terrific. Please go ahead and edit your first post add [SOLVED] to the beginning of your thread title.  The moderators don't do it for you, because we don't really know when things are resolved.

Thanks

But spoked isn't the OP. Should he still mark his initial post "solved", even though it's on the third page of the thread? It had never occurred to me to do that.

Donate to Arch!

#69 2011-09-04 02:01:39

dhave

spoked wrote:

Success!

I was able to boot the archboot iso with UEFI from USB, by formatting the USB to fat32 and extracting the iso to that partition. From there, I had all the right steps, all the way to efibootmgr finally succeeding to do its job.

That's great, spoked. Are you the type of person who documents his steps and can report them succinctly? If so, please write up a wiki page! A lot of people are going to be wanting to follow in your footsteps.

Donate to Arch!

#70 2011-09-05 19:42:55

spoked

dhave wrote:
spoked wrote:

Success!

That's great, spoked. Are you the type of person who documents his steps and can report them succinctly? If so, please write up a wiki page! A lot of people are going to be wanting to follow in your footsteps.

I will look into documenting the different steps to make it work, it would be good for me to keep it, and also share with the community. I will add it to the wiki once I'm done, anyone who needs help coming across this post can also feel free to contact me.

I won't be switching this thread to [SOLVED] since it is not my thread.

Last edited by spoked (2011-09-05 19:43:43)

#71 2011-09-05 23:39:18

dhave

skodabenz wrote:

@dhave: When you do test, try grub2-uefi installation from Archboot setup and post the result, before trying manually. Especially whether the setup script detects the EFISYS partition correctly, mounts it at /boot/efi and after setting up grub2, creates a boot entry using efibootmgr?

I'm making a note now to give the grub2-uefi option a spin when I take the time to install. Meanwhile, I'm glad to see that spoked is planning a doc page.

Donate to Arch!

#72 2011-09-06 18:15:59

skodabenz
Banned

spoked wrote:

Success!

How did you setup grub2-uefi? Manually or using Archboot setup script?

#73 2011-09-07 17:21:56

spoked

skodabenz wrote:
spoked wrote:

Success!

How did you setup grub2-uefi? Manually or using Archboot setup script?

I followed this : https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB2#UEFI_systems

and copied the grub.cfg from /boot/grub to /boot/efi/efi/grub

#74 2012-12-16 21:56:30

lyzkov

Hello.
I have used efi stub booting method on my Asus P8P67 motherboard since few months. Last time I modified my GPT partition table with gparted (previously I was doing it by gdisk). It was only deletion of last, not used and empty partition, everything else was untouched. After that my motherboard can't recognize my first boot FAT32 partition.

I tried recreating EFI boot entry with efibootmgr, also reformatting my boot partition with "mkfs.vfat -F 32", but it doesn't work. Before I was able to run efi shell from BIOS localized in "/boot/shellx64.efi" and now it's not possible. Now I boot my system temporarily from EFI Shell localized in my pendrive partition.
GPT table looks good because gdisk doesn't report any warnings.

Please give me some suggestions how to fix this issue.

Board footer