You are not logged in.

#1 2011-09-02 23:11:55

jerome_bc

CUPS Printer not found in LibreOffice, epdfview, etc [SOLVED]

The printer is an HP Deskjet, connected by usb to my laptop, and set as server default in CUPS. I can print a test page from CUPS just fine, but the printer won't show up in any program (LibreOffice, epdfview, firefox, etc). I get an empty list of printer, and the "no default printer found" error in LibreOffice.

Previously the printer was connected to a file server (hostname "aurora") and shared by CUPS and I was able to print remotely from my laptop.

I think this could be related: when I run system-config-printer by default it tries to connect to aurora and no printer shows up. If I manually connect to 127.0.0.1 then I can see and modify my printer, add new printers, etc.

It looks liked I changed some setting so that my laptop connects to the CUPS install on aurora (which is now defunct) instead of localhost. I don't remember doing that though, and I have no idea how to change it back, if that is the problem. I'm stumped.

Last edited by jerome_bc (2011-09-04 15:47:39)

#2 2011-09-03 05:47:23

Deciare

Re: CUPS Printer not found in LibreOffice, epdfview, etc [SOLVED]

Is there a ServerName directive in /etc/cups/client.conf that refers to aurora?

The default value for that appears to be /var/run/cups/cups.sock.

#3 2011-09-03 08:06:59

olive

I do not have a solution to your problem but I would suggest to point a browser to 127.0.0.1:631 and configure CUPS from that. You will inteact directly with CUPS and it is better for debugging. Now can you see your printer from there? can you print the test page?

Some printer need CUPS recompiled with the usblp module instead of libusb (recompile cups with the corresponding option to configure or look in the AUR).

But you seems to say you can see your printer from 127.0.0.1:631? Try to print a file with lpr does that work? If you have messed up CUPS remove $HOME/.cups or try to reset cups to its default setting (the easier way that I know is pacman -Rndd cups libcups, then reinstall, restart it and reconfigure it). Of course you can try to fix the config files of cups as previously mentioned but if you have only one or two printer configured just resetting all cups to default as I mention is quicker and safer.

Last edited by olive (2011-09-03 08:19:12)

#4 2011-09-04 15:46:52

jerome_bc

Deciare wrote:

Is there a ServerName directive in /etc/cups/client.conf that refers to aurora?

The default value for that appears to be /var/run/cups/cups.sock.

Thanks, that was it!

Board footer