You are not logged in.

#1 2011-09-02 12:50:23

wyfrn

Laptop suddenly turns off

Hi ...

Since yesterday I got a strange problem with my HP Compaq 610 (perhaps after installation of laptop-mode-tools?).
Without an AC Adapter connected it suddenly turns off with around 40-50% of charge remaining. My first guess was the
battery is broken and so wrong values for time remaining and charge state are computed.
Last time this happened I tried to boot again immediately but after a few seconds the laptop turned off. So I waited
about 5 minutes and tried again. To my surprise this time everything worked fine (without an AC Adapter connected).

So I guess there is something going wrong with the (temperature?) sensors. There is another fact that make me think so:
Sometimes while rebooting the procedure stops and a error message (critical system temperature reached) is displayed.
I'm sure I don't need to take this seriously but it shows there is something going wrong.

It's just confusing that the first first problem never occurs with an AC Adapter connected.

Daemons running:
    - acpid
    - cpufreq

I removed the laptop-mode-tools package yesterday because the hard disk module didn't work as expected and at the moment
I don't have the time to study the documentation.

Does anybody got any suggestions where to start or what could cause these problems?

Last edited by wyfrn (2011-09-02 12:57:26)

#2 2011-09-02 13:07:54

davidgurvich

Re: Laptop suddenly turns off

The first thing to test is if there is a hardware problem.  Get a live system and try the ac adapter in various states.  I suggest getting the Openindiana CD as that should have very little in common with a Linux livecd.  If the same thing happens you have a hardware or bios issue and can stop fretting about Arch.  You might also try something like OpenBSD or GhostBSD.

#3 2011-09-06 11:19:31

MisterAnderson

Re: Laptop suddenly turns off

Hey I bought this laptop a few days ago and put arch on here and just this afternoon it's started suddenly turning off and rebooting, done it about 4 times now. Is there any logs to look at that might show something? This is on AC power and I don't have laptop-mode-tools or anything installed. I did have firefox's "addons" tab opened every time and for some reason I feel like it may be relevant.

Also this is sudden with no warning and almost immediately the computer starts booting up again. I don't know about the temperature other than it doesn't seem too hot and it's been hotter than it was when it happened.

Last edited by MisterAnderson (2011-09-06 11:21:12)

D:

Board footer