You are not logged in.

#1 2011-07-05 19:52:55

trusktr
Banned
Website

[solved] buzztard-svn build fails.

Can you help me figure out why the build fails for buzztard-svn?
I'm new at building and all that.

Here's the output during installation from AUR using packer:
http://pastie.org/2168781

Notice in particular at the end these lines:

make[4]: Entering directory `/tmp/packerbuild-0/buzztard-svn/buzztard-svn/src/buzztard-build/src/ui/edit'
Makefile:928: *** missing separator.  Stop.
make[4]: Leaving directory `/tmp/packerbuild-0/buzztard-svn/buzztard-svn/src/buzztard-build/src/ui/edit'
make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/tmp/packerbuild-0/buzztard-svn/buzztard-svn/src/buzztard-build/src/ui'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/tmp/packerbuild-0/buzztard-svn/buzztard-svn/src/buzztard-build/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/packerbuild-0/buzztard-svn/buzztard-svn/src/buzztard-build'
make: *** [all] Error 2
==> ERROR: A failure occurred in build().
    Aborting...
The build failed.

Is this a packaging error or an error upstream?

Last edited by trusktr (2011-09-05 23:52:03)

joe@trusktr.io - joe at true skater dot io.

#2 2011-07-06 02:26:04

triplesquarednine

Re: [solved] buzztard-svn build fails.

buzztard, from what i can tell is a dead project. (last updated in 2009)

there is a fork that is called "Neil modular tracker". here is the website;

http://sites.google.com/site/neilsequencer/

it's probably in AUR too, but i dont have the link off-hand.

cheerz

#3 2011-09-05 17:20:48

trusktr
Banned
Website

Hi triplesquarednine. smile

Buzztard is not dead. It was actually just a small bug in the code. Got it fixed. big_smile

http://buzztard.org

#4 2011-09-05 18:20:29

triplesquarednine

trusktr wrote:

Hi triplesquarednine. smile

Buzztard is not dead. It was actually just a small bug in the code. Got it fixed. big_smile

http://buzztard.org

I stand corrected. wink

I had thought that was why Neil tracker was started as a fork to begin with.

anyway, i'm glad to got it fixed ~ you seem to be the only one doing bug reporting for Buzztard by the look of things. Myself, i tend to use Renoise for my tracker needs, these days... although i do have Neil Tracker installed (i like it a little better than Buzztard, it's interface is cleaner.)

that's awesome that the porject hasn't died though, i would be more interested in using neil/buzztard if they had a lot more plugins to work with including native VST and lv2.

cheerz

#5 2011-09-05 23:51:49

trusktr
Banned
Website

Yeah, most definitely! I can't wait for VSTs to work. I'm pretty sure there will be a machine for that soon. You can generate many many different types of sounds with the current synthesizer machines. You can also load samples into the sample machine. Buzztard is definitely progressing faster than before now!  I think that the power to control sounds precisely with Buzztard's machines will set it apart from Renoise. I'd imagine it will be like Reason soon (but with a whole different interface).  The backend for the sound is written in gstreamer (which I'm sure you've probably heard of). Its open source of course, and the project is hosted on sourceforge currently so feel free to join and help make it better by contributing code, or just writing suggestions! Definitely try the latest from SVN, not the stable (both in AUR), as it has much more improvements and machines. 0.6.0 will be out soon.

#6 2011-09-06 12:10:15

triplesquarednine

trusktr wrote:

Yeah, most definitely! I can't wait for VSTs to work. I'm pretty sure there will be a machine for that soon. You can generate many many different types of sounds with the current synthesizer machines. You can also load samples into the sample machine. Buzztard is definitely progressing faster than before now!  I think that the power to control sounds precisely with Buzztard's machines will set it apart from Renoise. I'd imagine it will be like Reason soon (but with a whole different interface).  The backend for the sound is written in gstreamer (which I'm sure you've probably heard of). Its open source of course, and the project is hosted on sourceforge currently so feel free to join and help make it better by contributing code, or just writing suggestions! Definitely try the latest from SVN, not the stable (both in AUR), as it has much more improvements and machines. 0.6.0 will be out soon.

I think what will separate it from apps like Renoise, is the modular, pluggable interface - taken from Buzz. I've always enjoyed that interface, and work flow. Ya, the synthesis in buzztard is fairly flexible, but it would still be nice to have more smile As far as samples, buzztard ported Matilde tracker, right? i know that Neil has a port, so i would kind of expect to see the same in buzztard. I know Matilde tracker like the back of my hand - i still know all of the effects commands, even after years and years of not using buzz. lol.

it does look like there is a lot more actively this year in Buzztard development. I think i will build it from svn and have a look, when i get home from work wink

thanks for the info.

cheerz

#7 2011-09-07 06:28:55

trusktr
Banned
Website

Hehe yeah, of course it branched from Buzz. big_smile Yeah, Matilde is in there. You're welcome!

Hey, what do you mean by "it would still be nice to have more"? When you get a chance to play around with the latest Buzztard from SVN, please do post suggestions of what "more" you'd like. big_smile Creating an account on buzztard.org and posting feature requests in the "Bugs" sections would help. smile

Board footer