You are not logged in.

#1 2011-09-06 18:19:36

twister

console/bootup switches to 2nd monitor on resolution change

This is my first post here, so a big Hello World and hey to everybody here smile

I have recently found Arch and immediately liked it. I successfully installed it multiple times now (virtual machine test, laptop and test partition on main pc with luks+lvm) and Im loving it.
I now have encountered the first problem I dindt find a solution to in the great wiki and my first google searches didnt turn anything up.

I have a dual monitor setup. Once i startup the POST, BIOS messages, 3rd party BIOS (controllers) messages get shown on my primary screen. After which grub2 (from may main ubuntu install ... not for long tongue) comes up on it as well. Once I select the created Arch entry it starts booting up on the same display. Shortly after it switches to the nice full resolution, but in the same instant the remaining boot up process and the login TTYs are moved to the 2nd display. It is really not a critical issue, but one that annoys me a little. Does anybody have any idea how to keep it on my main screen.

The Card is a NVIDIA GeForce 470GTX

Not sure if any additional info is relevant, but Ill gladly provide anything needed.

thx and Im glad Im here.

#2 2011-09-06 19:38:21

twister

Re: console/bootup switches to 2nd monitor on resolution change

ok so after a little more digging I found that it boils down to KMS, and since i have a nvidia card the nouveau driver. I just switched it to early start mode by putting it in MODULES="" in the mkinitcpio.conf.

The early start works and I have a nice resolution right from the start, but it obviously doesnt solve the initial problem of it moving to the wrong monitor.

might the "Force Modes" option be a possibility here?
http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/KernelModeSetting

Last edited by twister (2011-09-06 19:39:07)

#3 2011-09-06 20:03:01

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

just write a video= option that enables the monitor you want, with the res you want, and disables the other?

But with your card I would really use the binary driver instead.

Last edited by Mr.Elendig (2011-09-06 20:03:33)

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#4 2011-09-07 09:51:41

twister

Well in ubuntu im using the binary nvidia driver and it works well for X/Gnome there, but I wanted to do a little mor minimalistic with my arch install and i especially like KMS support which I wont have at all if I switch to nvidia binary right?

There is probably no way to use nouveau for KMS and nivdia for the X session, right?

#5 2011-09-07 10:29:42

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

nouveau isn't anymore "minimalistic" than nvidia, and how much time do you spend outside of X anyway?

I would take the better performance, powersaving and features anyway smile And no, you sadly can't use kms with the binary driver (yet)

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

Board footer