You are not logged in.

#1 2011-09-07 13:28:38

Uchiha

How to get a new fallback option?

Hi!

I'm new in here. I'm from Brazil, my english isn't so good. But I'll try...

Before to install the KDE, I simply had to take out the notebook power connector, and let it by the battery. It causes a kernel panic in the system.
Now, to boot correctly the Arch, I have to choose the 2nd option: Arch Linux Fallback. I configured the GRUB to do this automatically.

How can I make a new fallback option? I'm worried to, in a future problem, it doesn't have a fallback option to repair the system.

Thanks.

Linux user #519886

#2 2011-09-07 14:24:50

stqn
Website

Re: How to get a new fallback option?

You can install kernel26-lts to have another boot option... But you should fix the normal boot.

Have you tried reinstalling linux (pacman -S linux)?

(note: "kernel26" is the old name for the "linux" package. kernel26-lts is the "long term support" version of linux.)

#3 2011-09-07 14:26:13

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

Having a fallback initcpio/kernel might not help if you trash your filesystem by doing unclean shutdowns, unless you put them in a seperate read only mounted partion. But then again, the userland might be trashed anyway so....

Last edited by Mr.Elendig (2011-09-07 14:26:43)

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#4 2011-09-07 14:46:03

Uchiha

stqn wrote:

You can install kernel26-lts to have another boot option... But you should fix the normal boot.

Have you tried reinstalling linux (pacman -S linux)?

(note: "kernel26" is the old name for the "linux" package. kernel26-lts is the "long term support" version of linux.)

I can't fix it. The system shows me a lot of messages and codes, the last line is: "...you're in you own now, good luck."! If I press enter, the Kernel Panic is shown.
Can the kernel26 change something in my kernel 3.0.4? Will it gets me another boot option without problems?

Mr.Elendig wrote:

Having a fallback initcpio/kernel might not help if you trash your filesystem by doing unclean shutdowns, unless you put them in a seperate read only mounted partion. But then again, the userland might be trashed anyway so....

Well, it helped me when I got a problem. I'd like the fallback again.

Linux user #519886

#5 2011-09-07 15:16:59

stqn
Website

Uchiha wrote:

I can't fix it. The system shows me a lot of messages and codes, the last line is: "...you're in you own now, good luck."! If I press enter, the Kernel Panic is shown.

I thought you could boot with the fallback option.

Can the kernel26 change something in my kernel 3.0.4?

No.

Will it gets me another boot option without problems?

Maybe (you will have to edit your grub menu yourself to add the new kernel.) I'm not sure what your problem is or how it happened.

#6 2011-09-07 17:18:30

Uchiha

stqn wrote:
Uchiha wrote:

I thought you could boot with the fallback option.

Can the kernel26 change something in my kernel 3.0.4?

No.

Will it gets me another boot option without problems?

Maybe (you will have to edit your grub menu yourself to add the new kernel.) I'm not sure what your problem is or how it happened.

I can boot with the fallback option, I'm using Arch normally with the fallback (include now). I want to get a new fallback, to correct any future problem with my current kernel.
I'll install the kernel26 and I'll post here if I get sucess.

Linux user #519886

#7 2011-09-07 18:22:08

stqn
Website

As far as I know, the only difference between the normal Arch boot entry and the fallback one is the different initramfs ("/boot/initramfs-linux.img" and "/boot/initramfs-linux-fallback.img"). This is why I suggested reinstalling the "linux" package: it will recreate both initramfs files and this might fix your problem.

You can reinstall the linux package after booting with the fallback boot entry. You're still using the same system, same kernel...

Board footer