You are not logged in.

#1 2011-09-02 14:46:51

mattmils

Battery wrong estimation time.

Hi guys,
Since when after an update of upower, and battery estimation time started "working", I'm running into a problem that is completely getting me mad. When I'm on battery everything I do cpu-intensive makes the estimation time drop instantly causing sometimes (getting from sometimes to often) the laptop to be forced to hibernate even if the battery is still at high levels (had 1 min battery time with 94% left). This happens even when I boot up the laptop.
As you may imagine this is getting really annoying. Why the hell gnome-power-manager should trust the time instead of the percentage is still a big question to me.
Gnome only let me choose between hibernate and shutdown on critical level (that we know is not).

Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

/matt

Last edited by mattmils (2011-09-02 14:51:26)

#2 2011-09-05 20:36:15

SternGerlachExperiment

Re: Battery wrong estimation time.

A bug? I remember reading some people used to have similar problems with gnome-power-manager in some Ubuntu release.

Just to be sure, can you check what "acpitool -B" (in AUR) says when this happens?

#3 2011-09-05 23:15:58

mattmils

SternGerlachExperiment wrote:

A bug? I remember reading some people used to have similar problems with gnome-power-manager in some Ubuntu release.

Just to be sure, can you check what "acpitool -B" (in AUR) says when this happens?

The funny parts is now that I'm trying to replicate this to run acpitool it does not want to happen. Tomorrow that I will have unsaved work open I'm pretty sure I'll face it. I'll post the report as soon as I can!

Thanks for the reply!

#4 2011-09-07 23:02:35

mattmils

Sorry for the late reply anyway here's what acpitool -B reports:

Battery #1     : present
    Remaining capacity : 2186 mAh, 62.96%
    Design capacity    : 3472 mAh
    Last full capacity : 3472 mAh
    Present rate       : 0 mA
    Charging state     : charged
    Battery type       : rechargeable 
    Model number       : 100 mAh
    Serial number      : Primary

This time happened just after the system booted up, I just had the time to see the gnome loading, showing the message and then it turned off. Annoying.

#5 2011-09-08 00:01:51

SternGerlachExperiment

Those numbers seem fine to me. Could you check what either "acpi" or "acpitool -B" says about the time left when on battery. Something like

$ acpi
Battery 0: Discharging, 60%, 01:35:44 remaining

When does Gnome-Power-Manager load? You could try the command in console, before logging in to your Gnome session. Also, what happens if you disable Gnome-Power-Manager and work without it for a while? I don't know if there are any alternatives working in Gnome, but you could just use "acpi" in terminal regularly to see how much time you have left. Just to know whether or not the power manager is to blame, or if the problem is somewhere else.

#6 2011-09-11 21:35:40

mattmils

I found an alternative way to handle this problem. I did a

gsettings list-recursively org.gnome.power-manager

At the end you can see a key named "use-time-for-policy" so I simply changed that behaviour:

gsettings set org.gnome.power-manager use-time-for-policy false

Thanks SternGerlachExperiment for trying to help me smile

Maybe someone else will find this solution useful!

/matt

#7 2011-11-28 15:10:53

jithinkr

mattmils wrote:

I found an alternative way to handle this problem. I did a

gsettings list-recursively org.gnome.power-manager

At the end you can see a key named "use-time-for-policy" so I simply changed that behaviour:

gsettings set org.gnome.power-manager use-time-for-policy false

Thanks SternGerlachExperiment for trying to help me smile

Maybe someone else will find this solution useful!

/matt

Thanks matt for this solution. This used to work, but not anymore. use-time-for-policy is not present in org.gnome.power-manager anymore.

The above code gives a 'No such key found' response. use-time-for-policy is now present in org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power.
The following works

gsettings set org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power use-time-for-policy false

Board footer