You are not logged in.

#1 2011-09-07 15:33:32

fx.isme

X hangs - XPS with Nvidia+Intel Dual Graphics

hi all

i did a netinstall of arch x64 and i am stuck with the commandline as i cant get X to start. i followed the wiki and did the relevant changes to Monitor-10.conf
here is the error i get . here's the dmesg output. here's the Xorg.0.log

i had first tried with the nouveau+dri drivers and intel-dri , then i removed nouveau and tried with proprietary nvidia drivers, but neither work.

i appreciate any help on this smile

thanks

#2 2011-09-07 21:36:45

CanadaRox

Re: X hangs - XPS with Nvidia+Intel Dual Graphics

There is very little support for Optimus right now.  You can check out http://linux-hybrid-graphics.blogspot.com/ to see if they can provide some insight on how to get both running.  They provide the most up-to-date info as far as I know.

You can try blacklisting nouveau and only installing the intel drivers since I'm pretty sure only the Intel chip can be utilized by default.

#3 2011-09-07 23:08:53

fx.isme

hi there

thanks for the link, i am looking through it.

anyway, i am not keen about getting optimus to work - i have no problem if there is no switching and my nvidia gpu is used all the time - i need the nvidia gpu specifically for my cuda codes . i had a similar problem in my previous ubuntu install as well - the screen would go blank if i used nvidia-config to generate the xorg.conf , so i would delete that xorg.conf and let it be automatically generated - but cuda was working fine - i suppose it doesnt depend on how xorg is configured it just needs the sdk and the drivers in the right place.

i tried the vesa drivers and X worked, however the screen i am getting is completely misaligned- its almost not usable. i started kdm - its working but i need to setup X properly first - i even removed the monitor config i made but X doesnt need it for vesa it seems (otherwise i was getting no screen found error without it)

how do i check whether my intel chip or nvidia chip is being used by X?

i really like arch - the wiki is very detailed and i want to get it working so i can continue on this - it has been a great learning experience compared to ubuntu so far.

Last edited by fx.isme (2011-09-07 23:12:37)

#4 2011-09-07 23:18:47

Gusar

If it's Optimus you have, the only way you'll get X working is Intel. For the Nvidia card, check out Bumblebee. Or, for cuda, may not be necessary. Bumblebee is for when you want to display stuff with the Nvidia card, stuff like games or other 3d stuff.

Board footer