You are not logged in.

#76 2011-09-09 21:13:36

mhertz

Re: Simple Dynamic Tiling WM using XCB

Ok, I just cloned the dminiwm repo, built the binary, and tested the gridmode in vt8 by running 'xinit ./dminiwm -- :1', and when there's e.g. 3, 5 or 7 etc. frames open, then there's 1 and sometimes 2(with 7) empty frames, whereas a gapless grid layout always resizes current frames so as theres no wasted screen esate space on unused frames...

With dwm there's a patch for grid mode, and another one which I would preffer called gapless grid:

GAPLESS GRID LAYOUT
Description
This patch is an altered gridmode layout for dwm, which arranges the windows in a grid. Instead of using a regular grid, which might leave empty cells when there are not enough windows to fill the grid, it adjusts the number of windows in the first few columns to avoid empty cells.

Again just a general suggestion, as I would think that most people would preffer to not have wasted space, which afterall is one of the big reasons where using tiling wms in the first place, but maybe i'm wrong about this assumption(gapless grid vs. grid), i dunno smile And afterall, it's not what people like, that matters, but what _you_ like...

Edit: Wow, check out the memory usage measured with ps_mem.py:

private shared total
 168        89    257

Off-topic: With ps_mem.py, which btw. rocks!, i'm never sure about which numbers to quote(so I use both/all) and which to use for personal comparisons. I mean, obviously, the private bytes used are arguably most important, and if i'd used another tool for the job, then i'd just use the private bytes, but since ps_mem.py uses pss and uss values, which means that the shared mem is not overlapping between apps, but instead given as a result of 'shared / number of processes using it', (i.e. if two apps share 100kb between them, then both apps will be listed with just 50kb as shared!) then it's also worth to take into account, although if you'ed stop using that app, then you'ed only get the private bytes of that app back, but nonetheless...

Last edited by mhertz (2011-09-09 21:40:01)

#77 2011-09-09 22:41:51

moetunes

I get what you mean now wink
That's something well worth working on mhertz I'll look into a solution for it.
Cheers

edit : and ps_mem.py is a great app thanks for mentioning it
Cheers again smile

Last edited by moetunes (2011-09-09 22:47:49)

You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me.

#78 2011-09-12 00:15:41

moetunes

While procrastinating instead of fixing stuff I added the ability to resize the window on top of the stack in DminiWM. A pic:
tYWI4OA
Is this useful to anyone?

Cheers

#79 2011-09-14 00:19:39

moetunes

I'm taking my window manager chatter to this thread
Cheers

Board footer