You are not logged in.

#1 2011-09-07 15:23:16

mizogs

[SOLVED] Modprobe does not show modules for graphic card

I am posting this in Newbie Corner because I think I have missed something obvious so please don't be rude or unkind!

The kernel drivers for my graphic card (nvidia GT440) don't appear to load.

lspci -v shows none in use, and only lists nvidiafb as a kernel module.
modprobe doesn't find any of the 3 video drivers that were installed with pacman.
lsmod doesn't list any modules connected to video drivers
Xorg -configure tries all three but then can't finish as they are not loaded/active/available?
nvidia-xconfigure does run but then startx fails because the display/screen is not there as nothing is driving the display.

I am installing from scratch. (I have done this a few times and never hit this problem before.)
From the new installation CD i686 I selected everything and ran the install.
Then I ran pacman -Syu followed by -S xorg (excluding video drivers) xorg-init xorg-twm xterm xorg-utils (later  removed with -R) xorg-server xorg-server-utils & xf86-video-nv xf86-video-vesa xf86-video-nouveau. To get the nvidia-current to install I removed xorg-utils xorg-xdriinfo libgl & xf86-video-nouveau. This is all my system has in it apart from dbus which I reliased I had missed earlier. I'm trying to sort this out before installing KDE or xfce4, so there is no users set up yet, nor any window managers. Before using a xorg.config file startx would create a display with 3 white xterm windows, I think this means X is OK. This is my second attempt at this, I did install  the whole of KDE4 last time but still hit this issue so never got to a working desktop, just stuck at the end of the window manager loading and never passing over to KDE.

Last edited by mizogs (2011-09-12 10:35:50)

One life - live it. (and drink the best wine first)

#2 2011-09-07 15:41:22

Gusar

Re: [SOLVED] Modprobe does not show modules for graphic card

Wow, your post is confusing. So let's start from the beginning: What do you have installed currently and which driver do you want to use?

#3 2011-09-07 15:46:17

epikal

I would check/post your /var/log/Xorg.0.log.

I also recently reinstalled a few times (gtx460), I believe all that I have done is:
pacman -S xorg-server xorg-xinit xorg-utils xorg-server-utils
pacman -S nvidia nvidia-utils

#4 2011-09-07 19:18:08

mizogs

Thanks for looking at this.
I have tried to use 4 different drivers, vesa, nv, nouveau (now removed with pacman -R), & nvidia. I would be happy with either of the last two but I think if I can get any one working the same fix will sort all of them because at the moment I can't get any to show as "in use" with lspci -v.

This is the first time I have used wgetpaste so the link for my xorg.log is http://paste.pocoo.org/show/471921/

The only error showing is :- (EE) Failed to initialize GLX extension (Compatible NVIDIA X driver not found)

#5 2011-09-07 19:37:36

Gusar

Your log shows it's trying to use nv (ugh) and eventually settles for vesa. If you want to use nvidia, you need to remove both xf86-video-nouveau and xf86-video-nv (and remove xf86-video-vesa too; it doesn't hurt to have it, but it makes debugging a bit harder). Then install nvidia and nvidia-utils, like epikal says. And then a very simple thing... reboot. That should pretty much do it. If it doesn't, post the log again.

#6 2011-09-07 20:53:44

mizogs

Did what Gusar sugested. new Xorg.log here http://paste.pocoo.org/show/472029 & pacman.log http://paste.pocoo.org/show/472031. Pacman log shows :- ERROR: Module nvidia does not exist in /proc/modules - In order to use the new nvidia module, exit Xserver and unload it manually. I rebooted as I don't know how else to exit Xserver or unload it. Still no joy though, can't see nvidia listed as a module anywhere.

#7 2011-09-07 21:00:04

Gusar

The nvidia package should install the module. Is this package installed? If it is, what happens if you load the module manually - by doing

modprobe nvidia

as root? What does dmesg say after you've tried this?

#8 2011-09-08 10:36:36

mizogs

When I run

modprobe nvidia

I get a Fatal Error - Module nvidia not found. Is there some program that tells the kernel to find the modules and then uses them? I may have missed installing something. The dmesg log shows nothing relating to nvidia before or after running this command.

#9 2011-09-08 10:52:22

Gusar

Well, you clearly don't have the nvidia package installed. That one has the module. Or maybe, are you using a custom kernel?

#10 2011-09-08 11:29:03

mizogs

I did a pacman nvidia & nvidia-utils install, twice. Also I tried with xf86-video-vesa xf86-video-nv  xf86-video-nouveau earlier. They all seemed to install OK but never showed up in lsmod or lspci -k or v.
Just to try to move this on I have installed the alsa-utils package but no snd_* modules are showing either so there are no sound cards found. I am nearly at the stage of a format and new install but I can't see that anything will change and this will be the 3rd install.

#11 2011-09-12 10:30:18

mizogs

Thanks to everyone for looking at my problem. I came to the conclusion that the install media was corrupted and the system never loaded properly. I have now done a net install with none of these issues.

I will try to mark this topic closed, if I can work out how to do that.

Board footer