You are not logged in.

#1 2011-09-12 06:22:41

shadyabhi
Website

Changing window decoration in openbox

How do we change window decoation in openbox.

When I search on google or analyze rc.xml, all I find is removing decorations. There is nothing mentioned about using different window decoration.

#2 2011-09-12 06:57:06

vacant

Re: Changing window decoration in openbox

#3 2011-09-12 12:08:38

shadyabhi
Website

It can change various settings but not window decoration. There is an option for themes but all these have the same window decoration.

#4 2011-09-12 12:29:24

ANOKNUSA

No, it allows you to change the Openbox theme (window decorations).  If all the themes you see look similar, it's because you don't have many installed.

#5 2011-09-12 13:15:05

shadyabhi
Website

ANOKNUSA wrote:

No, it allows you to change the Openbox theme (window decorations).  If all the themes you see look similar, it's because you don't have many installed.

So, the window decorations & themes are packaged together in openbox, is it?

#6 2011-09-12 13:59:06

thisoldman

The window decorations are stored as *.xbm files, usually within the theme directory.  There is a default if none are included within the theme directory, if my memory is correct.

I'm not at my machine at the moment, and I forget how I copied the decorations from one theme to be used by another, but it was probably no harder than copying files from one directory to another.

The xbm format is simple to figure out.  I did it, so it just can't be difficult.  You edit the xbm file in a text editor.  The pattern in the file acts as a mask on the title bar.  There are two color choices – black and white.

#7 2011-09-12 20:48:41

ANOKNUSA

shadyabhi wrote:
ANOKNUSA wrote:

So, the window decorations & themes are packaged together in openbox, is it?

If you mean "GTK themes," then yes.  You can go to sites like deviantart.com or box-look.org, find a theme that you like and place it in the ~/.themes directory.  Then just select it with obconf.  If you're using a theme intended to match a particular GTK theme, then if you like you can stick their respective folders in a single enveloping folder for the sake of organization; just don't place all the files for both the GTK and Openbox theme in a single folder, or obconf won't recognize the Openbox theme for some reason.

Board footer