You are not logged in.

#1 2011-09-12 09:35:25

RobertMe

[Solved] Locales missing

Hi,

I'm having a problem with my Arch installation. Last time I tried to boot it it got stuck on the console login (X wouldn't start). After a lot of debugging it appeared something was wrong with the kernel. I reinstalled it and the laptop booted fine. But now it also seems something is wrong with the locales. For example I have some special characters in my PS1, and these fail now (in KDEs Konsole). Trying to list all the locales using locale -a (both as normal user and as root) it yields these errors:

locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_COLLATE to default locale: No such file or directory
C
POSIX

There are also a lot of other errors, for example bash' tab completion gives these errors:

warning: setlocale: LC_CTYPE: cannot change locale (en_US.UTF-8)
bash: warning: setlocale: LC_CTYPE: cannot change locale (en_US.UTF-8)

Using less on a UTF8 file says it's a binary file and askes if I'm sure I want to open it et cetera.

I already ran locale-gen, but this doesn't seem to solve the problem, I also reinstalled glibc (which is the owner of both locale and locale-gen) and ran locale-gen again (which is something I think already happens in a post upgrade script), but this doesn't solve the problem either.

Does anyone have an idea how to solve this problem?
Thanks in advance

Last edited by RobertMe (2011-09-13 18:17:35)

#2 2011-09-13 18:17:21

RobertMe

Re: [Solved] Locales missing

Problem solved. The en_US.UTF-8 line in /etc/locale.gen was commented. I probably overwrote my own file with a .pacnew after an update without properly checking the differences between the original file and my own file.

Board footer