You are not logged in.

#1 2011-09-07 01:41:37

kj4ohh

Gnome 3/Dual Monitor: Workspaces Showing Only One Display

I thought I had read something about this the other day, not sure if it was on the Arch forums or not.

I have an ATI Radeon video card with a dual monitor setup.  I've got the gnome display manager already setup for dual monitors and it's working fine.

However, when you press the logo key or move mouse to upper left corner, when it shows the workspaces, they only show the contents of the left monitor.

The only thing that could be throwing it off is I have the right monitor rotated to portrait orientation.  Gnome itself is working fine.

Here is a screenshot of how my desktop looks with the one rotated monitor:

g3dmws-thumb.png

Edited:  replaced large screenshot with a thumbnail linking to original as suggested

Last edited by kj4ohh (2011-09-07 03:34:21)

#2 2011-09-07 02:10:14

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Gnome 3/Dual Monitor: Workspaces Showing Only One Display

kj4ohh,

Welcome to Arch Linux.  Please see the Forum Etiquette regard posting images
I changed your post so that those on limited / metered links don't have to download a 1 Megabyte screenshot.  If you like, you may edit it to include a thumbnail image inside of url tags so that your readers can see the thumbnail and click through it to see the full image.  You may do it like this:
[ url=URLofYourReallyBig.jpg ] [ img]URLofYourThumbnailPicture[ /img ] [ /url ]
(Without the spaces I added to break the tags, of course)

Thanks.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2011-09-07 03:38:25

kj4ohh

ewaller wrote:

If you like, you may edit it to include a thumbnail image inside of url tags so that your readers can see the thumbnail and click through it to see the full image

Done!  Sorry about that, I was in a rush tryng to finish up the post before I had to leave earlier and didn't think about the screenshot size as it was off-site.

#4 2011-09-07 05:56:13

Durden

Gnome3 workspaces are a disaster right now. The right monitor will never change. The apps you put on it will be across all workspaces. This is true on nVidia graphics also. If it's something you need I would suggest giving KDE or XFCE a try, both do a better job on multiple screens. I hear Multiple screens is a priority for Gnome3.2 though, so maybe this will change.

#5 2011-09-08 14:33:44

pavel

- run gconf
- go desktop/gnome/shell/windows
- switch "workspaces_only_on_primary off

Anyway, I like the default behaviour of gnome 3. It allows to have a mail and instant messanger on the notebook screen. In the past I needed to sticky them manually.

Last edited by pavel (2011-09-08 14:35:20)

#6 2011-09-14 02:03:05

kj4ohh

pavel wrote:

- run gconf
- go desktop/gnome/shell/windows
- switch "workspaces_only_on_primary off

Anyway, I like the default behaviour of gnome 3. It allows to have a mail and instant messanger on the notebook screen. In the past I needed to sticky them manually.

I've turned that off but it doesn't seem to change anything.  Ive logged-in/out and also rebooted (shouldn't be necessary, but...)

Board footer