You are not logged in.

#1 2011-09-13 23:40:04

drahnr

[SOLVED] pantheon desktop environment - gnome replacement?

Anyone ever tried the pantheon desktop environment? It looks nice

https://launchpad.net/pantheon-desktop

Has anyone used it as a day to day DE? Is it usable (crashes, glitches, missing chunks, etc).
Note: the last 5 years i've been happy with gnome 2.x

I'd do the test myself, but I need my currently only availiable machine for codeing for my thesis...

Regards

Last edited by drahnr (2011-09-14 12:53:44)

#2 2011-09-13 23:56:32

firecat53
Website

Re: [SOLVED] pantheon desktop environment - gnome replacement?

What looks nice? I see no code, no screenshots, no...well...nothing smile Unless me an' google are missing something...which is entirely possible!

Scott

#3 2011-09-14 00:16:54

Durden

It's buggy as hell and the devs are flakes. I've had multiple dealings with them. Just a bunch of kids playing around really. They have more people "marketing" this stuff than actually developing it. They blatantly rip-off Apple's UI concepts and then say things like "It's the only way to do it" as an excuse. Really nothing to see. They can't even produce a release schedule. The latest word is their next release will echo the Ubuntu 12.04 release so we're talking a long way off.

I hope they pull it together and actually produce something as many of their ideas are in-line with my own. However, I have very little confidence in the devs who are essentially reinventing the wheel constantly.

Time will tell I guess.

#4 2011-09-14 01:36:34

jacmoe
Website

Sounds like the highly succesfull Microsoft Coorporation. tongue
Flake devs. Just a bunch of geeks playing around, with more people marketing the stuff than actually developing it.. Blatantly ripping off everyone else. Can't produce a release schedule.. big_smile
Nah, just kidding.. (Couldn't help myself - won't happen again).

Less noise. More signal.

#5 2011-09-14 03:01:18

ewaller
Administrator

Moderator:  Please allow me to direct you two to https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fo … ng_Systems

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#6 2011-09-14 12:51:40

drahnr

Ok, I think it is pretty much useless for me, just saw a screenshot and tried to browse their uber-mac-clone hompage. Thanks for your opinions smile

#7 2011-09-15 16:36:34

Zwenx

Way to jump to conclusions with very little information being out apart from they schedule to release their pantheon desktop at around Ubuntu 12.04

They are taking a design philosophy that embodies simplicity and ease of use and consistency, since that design philosophy is similar to apple they will innevitably end up with similar design. Grey gradients, consisten window design and layout, and a cohesive lightweight desktop, are not bad design goals just because they are someone elses design goals as well. They are taking cue's from anywhere they can, along with a lot of their own innovation.

In this world where gnome 3.0 and the kde 4 series are becoming rather bogged down, it's nice to see people working on a window environment that gets out of your way: "Pantheon"

There are a few design decisions like slingshot that I disagree with, however I think slandering them like this is fairly dishonest, they are trying to make the best desktop they can in a certain design philosophy, and their apps are quiet a pleasure to use if you do not need the heavy and advanced features other clients provide. I quiet enjoy postler..

Anyway just my 2 cents, the negativity so far seems astounding to me.

#8 2011-09-15 22:39:11

Durden

since that design philosophy is similar to apple they will innevitably end up with similar design

That is such an enormous load of BS. Put simply, that dog won't hunt.

Board footer