You are not logged in.

#1 2011-09-20 11:49:33

Flash99

[SOLVED] Booting Grub2 in efi and Passing Values between EFI applicns

Hi,

1. I am trying to boot an x86_64 efi aware OS image using Grub2. Grub2 (efi format) is installed on a USB. The USB is acting as a FAT32 efi system partition. On boot up via the EFI shell, I see the following error

error: no suitable mode found
Booting anyhow

After this the computer/system hangs. Can anyone please help in resolving the issue?

2.I am working on EFI development. I wanted to know if it is possible to pass values (integer/flag) between EFI Applications and also to the OS Loader so that we can pass this to the Kernel via the command line.

3.From the EFI shell I want to execute a program test1.efi(say). I want test1.efi to invoke test2.efi automatically. Can this be done? If so could you please share the procedure or any link/document that has this information.

Thanks once again.

Regards,
Flash

Last edited by Flash99 (2011-09-21 10:31:18)

#2 2011-09-20 14:40:41

skodabenz
Banned

Re: [SOLVED] Booting Grub2 in efi and Passing Values between EFI applicns

Flash99 wrote:

Hi,

1. I am trying to boot an x86_64 efi aware OS image using Grub2. Grub2 (efi format) is installed on a USB. The USB is acting as a FAT32 efi system partition. On boot up via the EFI shell, I see the following error

error: no suitable mode found
Booting anyhow

After this the computer/system hangs. Can anyone please help in resolving the issue?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GR … ms_in_UEFI will remove the error and atleast will show boot messages wherein you can debug and find out what causes the system hang.

2.I am working on EFI development. I wanted to know if it is possible to pass values (integer/flag) between EFI Applications and also to the OS Loader so that we can pass this to the Kernel via the command line.

Ask in edk2-devel ML.

3.From the EFI shell I want to execute a program test1.efi(say). I want test1.efi to invoke test2.efi automatically. Can this be done? If so could you please share the procedure or any link/document that has this information.

grub2 supports chainloading a UEFI application. But I don't know how tp do the same from other UEFI apps.

My new forum user/nick name is "the.ridikulus.rat" .

#3 2011-09-21 10:29:39

Flash99

Re: [SOLVED] Booting Grub2 in efi and Passing Values between EFI applicns

Thanks.

Board footer