You are not logged in.

#1 2011-09-21 11:58:08

abarahc

[solved] wireless - card generic netlink not found - iwlist scanning

I am usually able to connect over wireless networks using netcfg, but the following message that is appreciated since I upgraded my kernel to 3.x

> netcfg cesupa
:: cesupa up                                             [BUSY] 
nl80211: 'nl80211' generic netlink not found
nl80211: 'nl80211' generic netlink not found

I remember that once you updated the kernel, I had to redo the driver installation of wireless network card:

02:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY (rev 01)

and realized that if I use too much network scanning command the wireless network card seems to stop working suddenly.

> iwlist eth1 scan
eth1      Failed to read scan data : Invalid argument

the place where I always use the wireless network, there are 10 active networks in signal quality between 2/5 - 3/5
where the other laptops (Windows, Macs, and other distros) can see the normal way these networks

I've read the page for the configuration of my wireless network card on the wiki, but did not find any solution to my problem. any other ideas?

Last edited by abarahc (2011-09-21 12:18:49)

user@localhost $ grep -rnw "." -e "hacking"

#2 2011-09-21 12:08:53

ichase

Re: [solved] wireless - card generic netlink not found - iwlist scanning

Why are you scanning eth1?  I would think your wireless device would be wlan0.  What is the output of:

# ifconfig wlan0 up

If this brings you back to the prompt and does not display an error then try running iwlist against wlan0.

The new kernel should have had no effect on your wireless configuration.  Any reason why you are using netcfg instead of wicd or network-manager?

All the best,

Ian

#3 2011-09-21 12:18:03

abarahc

I'm using netcfg as a recommendation of the forum.
set up my wireless as eth1. had forgotten the ifconfig up uu'

thanks buddy

user@localhost $ grep -rnw "." -e "hacking"

#4 2011-09-21 12:52:48

ichase

Glad to see you are back up and running.  netcfg is not a bad option and I use it on any machine that I initially install Arch on because I don't have an ethernet connection.  (Wife has the ethernet on her computer and I have not taken the time to run ethernet through out the house) But once you have a WE or WM installed ie kde, gnome or openbox, fluxbox etc then installing wicd is the way to go.  Much less hassle IMHO.

All the best,

Ian

Board footer