You are not logged in.

#26 2011-09-21 09:03:48

Clouseau

Re: USB flash drive 5times faster with ntfs filesystem?

[mod-note] You know you can combine posts or edit previous posts? Please don't double-post where possible.

Yeah I  know, will stop doing that, I appologise.

And in my experience kernel bugs only draw attention when they're actually useful and not simply "this is slow when I do this".

Yes, and how do you know that I didn't post anything. If a played for two weeks of gone in a wind time for some thing that worked in 2.6.36 kernel and they decided to switch lirc implementation (which I don't use) in kernel 2.6.37 so my remote gone irrratic,after a couple of forums, testing, I mean a month of messing with my computer, and nobody respond, I CAN say that they completely ignored me adn  that they don't respond. Or could even respond with send me output of this or that... Its probably beacause I have tried all solutions I have found of three months googling and the only thing that would solve the problem is diging in the kernel code...

https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/24275?p … _watched=1

What I think that issues that exist for years like this one that USB copying goes wild on I/O and slows down computer are putted under the carpet... It's a problem that exists on variety of distros and varierty of hardware and some people are not using ubuntu or clickedi-click distros and know something underneath the systen so they tried a lot of stuff they could find to fix the problem and its still here... I have switched to linux 3years ago, started with Debian, then Gentoo, then Arch, and never looked back at Windows again (exepct I have to deal with them on job, yuck) and while it execells at so many things it really ist fair that no one of the developers would admit that the problem exist on such a basic level - I/O.

I'll try again the linux-ck with bfq, today it is released for linux-3.0... The noop gives a little boost over cfq, but not even close to performance of windows on usb copying...

#27 2011-09-22 14:50:58

lilsirecho
Veteran

Have you tried a pci USB card to provide another usb setup independent of the mobo setup to investigate how it performs?

Pcie might be the best approach since it is usually on a high speed bus.

Last edited by lilsirecho (2011-09-22 15:29:52)

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#28 2011-09-22 15:18:09

Clouseau

OK, I have finally managed to set it up: elevator noop is the best option. LInux-ck with bfq is the sam as stock kernel with cfq...not good for me... so I'm back on stock kernel with noop

ext2 and ext3 on a usb stick - bad performance, drops,lags,etc...
xfs - is good, same as ntfs
ext4 is the BEST - writing speeds are on the top specs of the voyager GT stick 18MB/s, great performance!

Beats me why ext2 isn't on the top becase it doesn't have journal, but I will now use ext4 and see how it goes...

BTW. check out the benchmarks, they are correct,although my version of stick is 16GB : ) http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=a … b_fs&num=1

Board footer