You are not logged in.

#1 2011-09-23 06:48:59

gshroc

[SOLVED] Missing .recently-used.xbel file - Gtk3 + Openbox

Hello folks

I'm new to Arch and am running Arch 3-0 i686, Openbox WM with a Gtk3.0 theme.

In the past on Ubuntu with Gtk2 I've used a pipemenu for quick access to my recent documents. I've tried recent.rb and the crunchbang script recently_opened_menu.sh but neither work on my Arch install.

Both these scripts rely on the file ~/.recently-used.xbel which does not exist in my home directory. I've tried creating it manually (wishful thinking) but that doesn't populate so no luck.

Does anyone know what creates this file? I wonder if it is different as I'm using Gtk3 and was using Gtk2 before? If any of you clever ppl know a solution to creating this file or a different way to generate a recent documents pipemenu I appreciate your advice. TIA.

Last edited by gshroc (2011-09-23 11:18:14)

#2 2011-09-23 08:23:44

thisoldman

Re: [SOLVED] Missing .recently-used.xbel file - Gtk3 + Openbox

$ cd
$ find . -name recently-used.xbel
./.local/share/recently-used.xbel

Edit: I tried the above only after coming up empty when trying to find the dot-file, '.recently-used.xbel'.

Last edited by thisoldman (2011-09-23 08:30:38)

#3 2011-09-23 11:16:14

gshroc

Re: [SOLVED] Missing .recently-used.xbel file - Gtk3 + Openbox

Now I feel dumb! Thanks a lot thisoldman, I genuinely didn't think it would be lurking under another directory. I changed a couple of lines in recently_opened_menu.sh to point to the file ./.local/share/recently-used.xbel and it's working fine.

Although... The "serious" coding I always work on in Kate not Gedit. It seems after a little trial and error that only the "gedit-opened-files" are recorded within *recently-used.xbel and not anything opened with Kate. The KDE method seems to be creating a directory ~/.kde4/share/apps/RecentDocuments/ with some *xml.desktop references.  I'll have to find a way to create a pipe menu which can reference both, oh joy!

Thanks for the help though, you found the file I was looking for so marking as solved.

Last edited by gshroc (2011-09-23 11:23:05)

Board footer