You are not logged in.

#1 2011-09-23 12:49:10

supportnti

installing arch linux remotely

I have an arch linux live CD which I have given to a person who is totally unfamiliar with linux (he is not a software person). He will be travelling to another city very soon with the live CD. We want to install Arch on a machine in another city by booting off the live CD first, then connecting to the remote machine over SSH from my machine and doing a complete install of Arch on a just purchased hard drive.

Can this be done? Appreciate any instructions or pointers.

#2 2011-09-23 12:55:42

ethail

Re: installing arch linux remotely

not a solution but:

I don't think Arch is quite the best option for a "unfamiliar with linux" person. You should consider that Arch requires a lot of tinkering at first steps when / after installing.

My GitHub Page

Best Testing Repo Warning: [testing] means it can eat you hamster, catch fire and you should keep it away from children. And I'm serious here, it's not an April 1st joke.

#3 2011-09-23 12:57:17

supportnti

All our systems are based on Arch Linux. So its the only option. I will have to tell him to do all the tinkering.

Appreciate any ideas on how this can be done.

Last edited by supportnti (2011-09-23 12:59:00)

#4 2011-09-23 14:02:05

lifeafter2am

supportnti wrote:

I have an arch linux live CD which I have given to a person who is totally unfamiliar with linux (he is not a software person). He will be travelling to another city very soon with the live CD. We want to install Arch on a machine in another city by booting off the live CD first, then connecting to the remote machine over SSH from my machine and doing a complete install of Arch on a just purchased hard drive.

Yeah it can be done.  The install will look pretty normal on your end since it's just an ncurses interface.  If you're going to help with set up after the initial install, make sure to have ssh and some kind of network script in your daemons array .... otherwise you'll be locked out after reboot.

Also, he's going to have to turn on ssh, set a password etc., during the install before you can ssh into the machine.  I highly recommend setting a password up for safety if your going to open up ssh.

#binarii @ irc.binarii.net
Matrix Server: https://matrix.binarii.net
-------------
Allan -> ArchBang is not supported because it is stupid.

#5 2011-09-23 17:13:28

supportnti

Can I get the instructions please? Are they available someplace online at least in part or on the wiki?

I tried to run this on a trial setup with two local machines. But I could not set up the disk port boot and SSH.

Appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

lifeafter2am wrote:
supportnti wrote:

Yeah it can be done.  The install will look pretty normal on your end since it's just an ncurses interface.  If you're going to help with set up after the initial install, make sure to have ssh and some kind of network script in your daemons array .... otherwise you'll be locked out after reboot.

Also, he's going to have to turn on ssh, set a password etc., during the install before you can ssh into the machine.  I highly recommend setting a password up for safety if your going to open up ssh.

#6 2011-09-23 17:20:05

lifeafter2am

supportnti wrote:

Can I get the instructions please? Are they available someplace online at least in part or on the wiki?

I tried to run this on a trial setup with two local machines. But I could not set up the disk port boot and SSH.

lifeafter2am wrote:
supportnti wrote:

1) Boot live-cd
2) start network
3) start SSH manually
4) set password for root
5) log-in remotely
6) install system

All of these things should be easy for anyone with basic Linux knowledge.

#binarii @ irc.binarii.net
Matrix Server: https://matrix.binarii.net
-------------
Allan -> ArchBang is not supported because it is stupid.

#7 2011-09-24 10:18:02

supportnti

lifeafter2am wrote:
supportnti wrote:

lifeafter2am wrote:

1) Boot live-cd
2) start network
3) start SSH manually
4) set password for root
5) log-in remotely
6) install system

All of these things should be easy for anyone with basic Linux knowledge.

I tried to install on a machine already running arch from another machine but without success. I booted off live CD and tried fdisk to partition the hard disk and wrote the new settings to the partition table. But upon reboot I see the old system again. I am looking for instructions to install after booting off a live cd.

#8 2011-09-24 10:34:07

tomk
Forum Fellow

That's exactly what you got - what part of lifeafter2am's post do you not understand?

Anyway, I installed my last machine remotely using this procedure, might work for you too.

#9 2011-09-24 15:48:46

supportnti

thanks.

Last edited by supportnti (2011-09-24 15:49:22)

Board footer