You are not logged in.

#1 2011-08-10 15:13:00

Pacopag

[SOLVED] System upgrade broke conky

Hi.
I recently did a full system upgrade, including a kernel upgrade.  Couple things broke, but one thing I can't seem to fix is conky.  I keep getting this error when run conky

Conky: /etc/conky/conky.conf: 1: no such configuration: 'round'
Conky: can't open '/sys/bus/platform/devices/coretemp.1/temp1_input': No such file or directory
please check your device or remove this var from Conky
Segmentation fault

Reporting temperature on multiple cores was working fine before.  The coretemp.0 directory exists, but that's it.  If I remove references to coretemp from my conky file, then conky runs fine (but it would be nice to be able to see my cpu core temps again)  I tried reinstalling conky and re-running sensors-detect, but it didn't work.
Anyone know how I can fix this?

Edit:  I just remembered that I wrote this down after the kernel upgrade.  Pacman said "kbd and rtc devices not world readable"  or something like that.  I don't know what this means, but maybe it's a clue.  Pacman also told me to append "quiet" in the kernel command line, but I'm now sure where to do this.

Thanks,

Last edited by Pacopag (2011-09-23 14:49:09)

#2 2011-08-10 18:59:12

sparky

Re: [SOLVED] System upgrade broke conky

Same issue here. I think there's a bug in the coretemp module, I no longer see a coretemp.1 directory on my dual-core machine. Now I have the following under coretemp.0:

$ ls /sys/bus/platform/devices/coretemp.0/
driver    name       temp2_crit        temp2_label  temp3_crit_alarm  temp3_max
hwmon     power      temp2_crit_alarm  temp2_max    temp3_input       uevent
modalias  subsystem  temp2_input       temp3_crit   temp3_label

For the quick fix I changed my conkyrc to look at temp2_input and temp3_input, which appear to be the temps for each core. As a simple test, I did some stress testing to load the cores one at a time, and it seems that temp2 is representative of core 0, temp3 is core 1. However, this smells like a bug, so hopefully it's corrected upstream soon.

#3 2011-08-10 20:09:26

Pacopag

Great.  Thanks for your reply.  For some reason I have fewer tempX_inputs in coretemp.0 than I have cores.  But anyway, I can monitor coretemp.0 for now, and like you say, hopefully it will take care of itself.

Last edited by Pacopag (2011-08-10 20:09:40)

#4 2011-08-10 20:18:24

siriusb

You can compare the ouput of sensors and ls /sys/class/hwmon/*/* and update your conkyrc accordingly.
Now I can get the CPU temperature with ${hwmon 1 temp 2} and the 2 cores with ${hwmon 0 temp 2} and ${hwmon 0 temp 3} for my Core2Duo.

@Pacopag, you can find the kernel comman lind in your system bootloader (grub, syslinux). "queit" will decrease verbosity during boot.

#5 2011-08-17 18:36:43

lynix

Same here, breaking my temperature monitoring with vicious (awesome). I see no way of telling vicious to check temp2 instead of temp1 (which is missing), so I hope they get that bug fixed, soon smile

#6 2011-09-23 14:48:26

Pacopag

Forgive me for bumping an old post, but I fixed the problem and wanted to share with those whose conky broke too.

This is what I had in /etc/conky/conky.conf before the kernel upgrade and it worked fine (on a quad core cpu)

${platform coretemp.0 temp 1} C   ${platform coretemp.1 temp 1} C   ${platform coretemp.2 temp 1} C   ${platform coretemp.3 temp 1} C

After kernel upgrade, this no longer worked.

Now I have

$alignr${platform coretemp.0 temp 1} C   $alignr${platform coretemp.0 temp 2} C   $alignr${platform coretemp.0 temp 3} C   $alignr${platform coretemp.0 temp 4} C   

and it seems to be working, as far as I can tell.

Cheers,

Board footer