You are not logged in.

#1 2011-09-23 17:54:18

xKISAMEx

[SOLVED] Installation guide during installation?

I've been interested in trying out Arch linux for awhile now but never got around to attempting an installation because I can't get the installation guide to open while I'm installing and I can't really be assed to walk in-between rooms to check another computers monitor (I don't own a laptop) and I was wondering what exactly I'm doing wrong. The wiki says as followed:

"The official install guide is conveniently available right on the live system! To access it, change to tty2 (virtual console #2) with <ALT>+F2, log in as "root" and then invoke /usr/bin/less by typing in the following at the # prompt:

# less /usr/share/aif/docs/official_installation_guide_en
less will allow you to page through the document.

Change back to tty1 with <ALT>+F1 to follow the rest of the install process. (Change back to tty2 at any time if you need to reference the Official Guide as you progress through the installation process.)"

-----------------------------------------------------------------

So I'm just curious as to how I can get this to open? smile

Last edited by xKISAMEx (2011-09-24 05:32:57)

#2 2011-09-23 18:08:01

karol
Archivist

Re: [SOLVED] Installation guide during installation?

Are you using the 2011.08.19 iso?
Unfortunately it was shipped with outdated documentation https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/25688 If this is the case, don't bother with that guide, use https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners%27_Guide - you can print it out https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php?ti … ntable=yes

#3 2011-09-23 18:12:05

lilsirecho
Veteran

The instructions given allow for the guide to be accessed via the ....AltF2...selection.  When that is utilized, log in as ...root.... no passwd.

Then do : less  /usr/share/aif/docs/official_installation_guide_en....

(There is a space between less and /usr)

Thus you can read the guide as needed and return to the install with ...Altf1.....when you have the need to do so.

This should permit opening the guide at each selection of altf2 by the same procedure outlined above..  You will find it to be a lengthy file.

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#4 2011-09-23 20:32:15

fredo1664

Once you have the network up and running, you can also use links to browse the guide and the wiki.
Reminds me of my previous installations of Gentoo smile

I'm French and French people can't speak English, so please please please excuse the terrible English!

#5 2011-09-23 22:15:06

xKISAMEx

lilsirecho wrote:

The instructions given allow for the guide to be accessed via the ....AltF2...selection.  When that is utilized, log in as ...root.... no passwd.

Then do : less  /usr/share/aif/docs/official_installation_guide_en....

(There is a space between less and /usr)

Thus you can read the guide as needed and return to the install with ...Altf1.....when you have the need to do so.

This should permit opening the guide at each selection of altf2 by the same procedure outlined above..  You will find it to be a lengthy file.

Thanks, I was doing it without a space I think, I have it working now. I'm at the step where I reboot and I'm trying update or whatever and all the sources I comment out say they can't be found yada yada so I dunno what to do.

fredo1664 wrote:

Once you have the network up and running, you can also use links to browse the guide and the wiki.
Reminds me of my previous installations of Gentoo smile

Also, thanks for this smile Though I can't really use it for the time being with the error or whatever but it's nice to know in advance. XD

************Edit***********

Well, I've got some sort of progress going! Trying to update, or whatever, it downloaded some stuff but still got errors for the most part. I got it to the point where I can install links atleast!

It's telling me mirror selected during installation for core/extra/community were not recognized and that there was "no address record." Is there any way I can change the mirror selected or will I have to re-do the installation process all over again?

Last edited by xKISAMEx (2011-09-23 23:32:51)

#6 2011-09-24 01:04:13

the sad clown

You can change the mirrors in /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

You can get an up to date list of mirrors here:

http://www.archlinux.org/mirrorlist/

I laugh, yet the joke is on me

#7 2011-09-24 02:09:45

lilsirecho
Veteran

Most installs include mirrorlst.pacnew.

This is required in order to sync correctly to the mirrors and not get the error message you posted.

Thus, install the pacnew mirrorlst as mirrorlst, (overwriting the existing mirrorlst).

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#8 2011-09-24 05:22:24

xKISAMEx

I just about have it except for a few things.

GDM: I'm not sure how to set it to automatically boot up when I turn on my computer, I know it has to do with daemons but when I did what I (thought) was correct, it was not.
gnome-shell: If I try using startx to run (and test to see if it's working properly) it crashes; I assume daemon here, as well?

#9 2011-09-24 05:27:41

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Please mark this thread as [Solved] and start a new thread with your GDM issue: we try to keep threads concise and relevant to the thread title:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fo … ow_to_Post

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

Board footer