You are not logged in.

#1 2005-07-09 17:15:33

jskier
Website

Kernel forcedeth and intel audio or nforce driver modules?

I recently discovered Nvidia makes nforce driver modules thanks to the recent packages listed on the Arch website. I have long since been using the Vanilla kernel drivers built in (which are reversed engineered or similar chipsets) without any problems.

My question is, are there any reasons I should switch over to Nvidia modules other than the fact that they are native to the manufactuer (performance, stability gains etc.)? I've noticed some posts have touched on this issue but they don't explain anything other than what looks like users preference.

Thanks for any info,

--
JSkier

#2 2005-07-09 17:33:28

colnago

Re: Kernel forcedeth and intel audio or nforce driver modules?

Before the forcedeth module was available, I would always go here for help:

http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=29

One version, some people were having problems with the forcedeth module, but that was long ago.  I also remember some bandwith tests, but I have not been to the site in ages. 

I quickly looked around and it appears nvidia is contributiong to the forcedeth module anyway.  I don't know about the sound.

#3 2005-07-09 17:43:19

iphitus
Forum Fellow

If it aint broke, dont fix it.

#4 2005-07-09 17:51:25

jskier
Website

If it aint broke, dont fix it.

Lol, reminds me of my high school Unix teacher. But I still like to tweak and toy with my Linux boxes  :twisted:

I wasn't aware Nvidia put input into forcedeth... nvnet is probably very similar then, thanks for the info. I have never had problems with forcedeth myself.

--
JSkier

Board footer