You are not logged in.

#1 2011-09-27 08:51:32

olivierk

Python3 recurrent warning

Hi!

I've got a fresh new arch box, installed from ctkarch.

I just installed eric5 do to some python programming, but everytime I close a window, I get this warning in a popup:

Warning:
X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
Major opcode: 20 (X_GetProperty)
Resource id: 0x4e037ed

I then realised that it seems to happen every time I close a qt widow (I think).

I tried to research it a bit, but found no information that I could understand.
Can somebody help me ?

Thanks,

Olivier

#2 2011-09-27 13:31:32

kachelaqa

Re: Python3 recurrent warning

olivierk wrote:

Hi!

I've got a fresh new arch box, installed from ctkarch.

I just installed eric5 do to some python programming, but everytime I close a window, I get this warning in a popup:

Warning:
X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
Major opcode: 20 (X_GetProperty)
Resource id: 0x4e037ed

I then realised that it seems to happen every time I close a qt widow (I think).

I tried to research it a bit, but found no information that I could understand.
Can somebody help me ?

i am also seeing this exact same warning message when running some pyqt programs. it is harmless, but very annoying.

unfortunately, i have not been able to identify the source of the problem. i am pretty sure it started happening for me after i upgraded to kde-4.7.1, but i haven't tried testing that yet. i think i can be slightly more precise about when the warning occurs: it seems to happen most often when closing (and deleting) a dialog window. but as to whether this is a pyqt, qt, kde, or x problem, i do not know.

are you using kde? what versions of qt, kde and xorg-server do you have installed?

#3 2011-09-27 15:21:17

olivierk

Quite annoying indeed smile

I'm using KDE 4.7.1, Qt 4.7.4-3, xorg-server 1.10.4-1.

Thx.

#4 2011-09-27 16:31:48

kachelaqa

olivierk wrote:

Quite annoying indeed smile

I'm using KDE 4.7.1, Qt 4.7.4-3, xorg-server 1.10.4-1.

Thx.

one thing i just noticed from your previous post is that with eric5 you get the warning *in a popup* when you close a window. can you please state exactly what you did to make that happen so i can try to reproduce it. thanks.

#5 2011-09-27 16:58:20

olivierk

I think I did nothing. Simply installed eric5, and by default it shows any warning in a popup (with exactly the same infos as in the console).

#6 2011-09-27 17:23:53

kachelaqa

olivierk wrote:

I think I did nothing. Simply installed eric5, and by default it shows any warning in a popup (with exactly the same infos as in the console).

okay, i think i've found one way to reproduce it. using eric5, open the dialog under "Project / Version control / New from repository..." then, after closing the dialog, a message box appears with the "X Error: BadWindow" warning. this is only with eric5, though - not eric4.

i am pretty sure this must be something to do with the latest kde/qt upgrade. if it was more general, i am sure there would be a lot of irate users complaining on the eric mailing list. i don't use eric myself, so i only see the warnings displayed in the console when debugging my pyqt programs. it would be much more annoying if i had to put up with something like that popup message in eric. the only thing i can suggest at the moment is that you report the issue on the eric mailing list.

#7 2011-09-27 17:27:11

olivierk

Even though it isn't a specific issue of eric? (since it happens with many other softs)

Actually it happens with *any* windows closed (try file>open, cancel; …)

#8 2011-09-27 17:36:33

kachelaqa

olivierk wrote:

Even though it isn't a specific issue of eric? (since it happens with many other softs)

well, you didn't mention any other programs. which ones are you talking about? is this happening with *all* qt programs?

Actually it happens with *any* windows closed (try file>open, cancel; …)

i did try that in eric5, but i can't reproduce the problem that way.

#9 2011-09-27 17:42:45

olivierk

kachelaqa wrote:

well, you didn't mention any other programs. which ones are you talking about? is this happening with *all* qt programs?

A few I tried, at least: dolphin, clementine, digikam, ...
In each case, opening any dialogue (settings for example) and closing it will display the warning in console.

It happens only in the way you mentioned? Or can you find others?
For me, virtually any dialogue closed will display the warning.

#10 2011-09-27 18:04:31

kachelaqa

olivierk wrote:
kachelaqa wrote:

A few I tried, at least: dolphin, clementine, digikam, ...
In each case, opening any dialogue (settings for example) and closing it will display the warning in console.

It happens only in the way you mentioned? Or can you find others?
For me, virtually any dialogue closed will display the warning.

so far, i've only found that one way in eric5 that i mentioned - and even that has stopped doing it now!

i have not seen it when using any other qt/kde programs.

the only way i can definitely reproduce it is when debugging pyqt programs in the console. and this only started very recently for me when i upgraded kde/qt - i have never seen the behaviour before that.

Board footer