You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-07 23:45:47

relay01

Cursor Doesn't Change From "Processing Cursor"

Hey All,
I was hoping somebody could give me some insight into a problem I'm having.

After a fresh install of Arch, when starting gnome, gdm, or just plain X, my cursor didn't change from the default watch cursor.  I didn't get an arrow, just the watch.  Mouse is functional, I just don't ever get an arrow.

So I changed the default cursor theme to something else (Bluecurve) and had the same results, except now I get the Bluecurve equivalent of a watch (flipping hourglass). 

I've installed arch several times before and never had this problem.  Any suggestions as to where to start to resolve this issue?

#2 2011-07-06 00:26:56

musicalvegan0

Re: Cursor Doesn't Change From "Processing Cursor"

I have the exact same problem. After a fresh installation of GDM (no desktop environment installed yet), the cursor always displays as "processing" or "waiting" (ie, the spinning hourglass or watch). Changing the themes does not alter behavior even though the style of the cursor changes.

This is an EXTREMELY annoying irritation. Any help provided would be much appreciated.

#3 2011-09-23 00:46:29

ssivil

I'm having, what I believe to be the same problem.  I just did a fresh install of ArchX86-64/GDM/Grome 3, and while at the GDM screen, the hourglass cursor just spins and spins and never turns into a cursor; however, one I log in, everything is fine.  All applications run beautifully.  I'm not sure what's going on, so suggestions are appreciated.  I don't think it's my daemons list, but here it is:

DAEMONS=(hwclock syslog-ng network netfs crond ufw dbus)

Thank you.

#4 2011-09-23 12:58:39

Barafu Albino Cheetah

There was such bug several years ago( that time cursor didn't show up at all, but was functional) and it was a bug in GDM. May be it returned? Try running your X seession manually, without GDM, to see.

#5 2011-09-27 21:18:15

ssivil

I found my problem.  After installing metacity, everything runs fine.  I didn't think it was required with Gnome3, but apparently GDM needs it.  Thanks for your suggestion.

Board footer