You are not logged in.

#1 2011-09-28 06:04:06

wanghonglou82

[SOLVED]problems about sdcv looking up words

hi.
I get sdcv (sdcv 0.4.2-5)installed and also a dictionary with it.
But when i look up word,it doesn't work complaining that "nothing similar to '$word'",sorry sad".

$ sdcv sex
Nothing simillar to sex,sorry :(
$sdcv -l
bookname wordcount
somedic 4352468

And i've tried the stardict with the X environment.it works.

Any clue?Thanks.

Last edited by wanghonglou82 (2011-09-30 02:51:41)

#2 2011-09-28 09:49:11

karol
Archivist

Re: [SOLVED]problems about sdcv looking up words

I've installed Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary for Stardict https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=15600 and

[karol@black ~]$ sdcv sex
save to cache /usr/share/stardict/dic/oald.idx
Found 1 items, similar to sex.
-->Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary
-->sex

noun, verb 
    noun
  1  [U, C] the state of being male or female
SYN GENDER:
How can you tell what sex a fish is? * a process that allows couples to choose the sex of their baby * Please indicate your sex and date of birth below. * sex discrimination (= the act of treating men and women differently in an unfair way) * Testosterone is the male sex hormone.
  2  [C] either of the two groups that people, animals and plants are divided into according to their function of producing young:
a member of the opposite sex * single sex schools / education * the battle of the sexes (= the competitive relationship that exists between men and women)
see also FAIR SEX
  3  [u] physical activity between two people in which they touch each other's sexual organs, and which may include SEXUAL INTERCOURSE:
It is illegal to have sex with a person under the age of 16. * gay sex * the sex act * a sex attack / crime * a sex shop (= one selling magazines, objects, etc. that are connected with sex) * sex education in schools * These drugs may affect your sex drive (= your interest in sex and the ability to have it).
see also SAFE SEX, SEXUAL INTERCOURSE
  4  (-sexed) (in adjectives) having the amount of sexual activity or desire mentioned:
a highly-sexed woman
    verb [VN] (technical) to examine an animal in order to find out whether it is male or female

#3 2011-09-28 09:56:15

bernarcher
Forum Fellow

Yep! You need to install the proper dictionaries with sdcv. I too get a hit about "sex" with the OALD only.
(Maybe nerds are not sexy enough... wink )

To know or not to know ...
... the questions remain forever.

#4 2011-09-30 02:52:07

wanghonglou82

Thanks!

Board footer