You are not logged in.

#26 2011-09-08 18:10:44

Army
Member
Registered: 2007-12-07
Posts: 1,784

Re: ldm - Lightweight Device Mounter

TheLemonMan wrote:

Btw the make install objective already copies the daemon bootstrapper in /etc/rc.d/

Yes but when building it on Archlinux with ABS it is supposed to be installed into ${pkgdir}/etc/rc.d and I don't see a way to tell your Makefile to install it in that directory. So for now I'll keep doing it manually.
edit: Package is uploaded to the AUR.

Last edited by Army (2011-09-08 18:14:47)

Offline

#27 2011-09-08 19:37:20

TheLemonMan
Member
From: Italy
Registered: 2011-09-04
Posts: 214
Website

Re: ldm - Lightweight Device Mounter

bloom wrote:

Doesn't seem to work here (/media stays empty).

# grep ldm /var/log/everything.log 
ldm[1021]: segfault at 0 ip 00007f163a48a249 sp 00007fffc136bd30 error 4 in libnss_files-2.14.so[7f163a484000+b000]

Mmh, can you pastie me the output of `udisks --dump`, the /var/log/ldm.log file and a gdb session.
To get the latter you need to run `sudo gdb /usr/bin/ldm` then write

"set follow-fork-mode child"
"set detach-on-fork off"

followed by "run"

Then plug the usb device that caused the crash and when it tells it crashed type "bt" and pastie the result to me

Offline

#28 2011-09-08 19:47:57

bloom
Member
Registered: 2010-08-18
Posts: 749
Website

Re: ldm - Lightweight Device Mounter

TheLemonMan wrote:
bloom wrote:

Doesn't seem to work here (/media stays empty).

# grep ldm /var/log/everything.log 
ldm[1021]: segfault at 0 ip 00007f163a48a249 sp 00007fffc136bd30 error 4 in libnss_files-2.14.so[7f163a484000+b000]

Mmh, can you pastie me the output of `udisks --dump`, the /var/log/ldm.log file and a gdb session.
To get the latter you need to run `sudo gdb /usr/bin/ldm` then write

"set follow-fork-mode child"
"set detach-on-fork off"

followed by "run"

Then plug the usb device that caused the crash and when it tells it crashed type "bt" and pastie the result to me

I don't have udisks installed.
The log file is empty.
And I think it crashes before any plugging / unplugging but I'll try the gdb procedure you suggested.


gh · da · ds · cr · ab · fkr

Offline

#29 2011-09-09 13:06:50

TheLemonMan
Member
From: Italy
Registered: 2011-09-04
Posts: 214
Website

Re: ldm - Lightweight Device Mounter

I think i fixed all the problems in the head version, and the idev-support branch is currently working fine, so you can just plug your iphone/ipod and ldm will mount it big_smile

Offline

#30 2011-09-09 15:34:29

Unia
Member
From: The Netherlands
Registered: 2010-03-30
Posts: 2,474
Website

Re: ldm - Lightweight Device Mounter

I have ldm installed from git 20110909, but it still won't automount my iPod Touch. Also, perhaps another new feature: notifications when it mounted a device?


If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

Offline

#31 2011-09-09 16:02:18

TheLemonMan
Member
From: Italy
Registered: 2011-09-04
Posts: 214
Website

Re: ldm - Lightweight Device Mounter

Unia wrote:

I have ldm installed from git 20110909, but it still won't automount my iPod Touch. Also, perhaps another new feature: notifications when it mounted a device?

You need to checkout from the idev-support here https://github.com/LemonBoy/ldm/tree/idev-support
It'll be merged in master once testing phase is over smile

Offline

#32 2011-09-09 16:05:15

Unia
Member
From: The Netherlands
Registered: 2010-03-30
Posts: 2,474
Website

Re: ldm - Lightweight Device Mounter

Oooh, sorry! tongue Not that familiar with git. I'll keep an eye on this thread to see when it's merged! How do you feel about adding notifications?


If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

Offline

#33 2011-09-09 17:17:01

zester
Member
From: Wilkes Barre Pa
Registered: 2011-08-13
Posts: 156
Website

Re: ldm - Lightweight Device Mounter

Unia wrote:

Oooh, sorry! tongue Not that familiar with git. I'll keep an eye on this thread to see when it's merged! How do you feel about adding notifications?

No PLEASE LemonMan do NOT add notifications. ldm is perfect just the way it is. Unia if you want notifications and you use Qt. I am already working on it.

Last edited by zester (2011-09-09 17:17:19)

Offline

#34 2011-09-09 20:16:23

Unia
Member
From: The Netherlands
Registered: 2010-03-30
Posts: 2,474
Website

Re: ldm - Lightweight Device Mounter

^ I'm using GTK, both 2 and 3


If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

Offline

#35 2011-09-09 22:37:04

TheLemonMan
Member
From: Italy
Registered: 2011-09-04
Posts: 214
Website

Re: ldm - Lightweight Device Mounter

I might implement customizable post-mount/unmount commands using environment variables: handy, simple and useful smile

Offline

#36 2011-09-15 19:37:20

hadrianw
Member
From: Szczecin, Poland
Registered: 2011-09-15
Posts: 5
Website

Re: ldm - Lightweight Device Mounter

Great! I don't like all these PolicyKits, dbuses and other bloats.
Does it support optical media? I know that udev reports it. It would be nice also to be able to mount audio cds with cdfs, I don't know automounter able to do that.
You could also handle eject-button - I once ripped it off from HAL code, but never done anything beyond that.


Gentoo user here

Offline

#37 2011-09-16 14:31:01

TheLemonMan
Member
From: Italy
Registered: 2011-09-04
Posts: 214
Website

Re: ldm - Lightweight Device Mounter

hadrianw wrote:

Great! I don't like all these PolicyKits, dbuses and other bloats.
Does it support optical media? I know that udev reports it. It would be nice also to be able to mount audio cds with cdfs, I don't know automounter able to do that.
You could also handle eject-button - I once ripped it off from HAL code, but never done anything beyond that.

It supports cds too and has no hardcoded mount options, the filesystem format is obtained directly from the media so it should work with cdfs format too

Offline

#38 2011-09-29 19:29:16

TheLemonMan
Member
From: Italy
Registered: 2011-09-04
Posts: 214
Website

Re: ldm - Lightweight Device Mounter

Little update in the master branch, now it should work when started as daemon, if it doesnt still please report a bug on the github project page.
Thanks.

Offline

#39 2011-09-29 19:38:55

Panda Joshu
Member
Registered: 2011-09-29
Posts: 8

Re: ldm - Lightweight Device Mounter

sorry for my noobish question but how does this work compared to lets say...devmon? it's what im currently using.

Offline

#40 2011-09-29 21:33:10

Army
Member
Registered: 2007-12-07
Posts: 1,784

Re: ldm - Lightweight Device Mounter

I get a

% make
gcc ldm.c -ludev -o ldm
ldm.c: In function ‘device_mount’:
ldm.c:387:5: error: ‘user_pwd’ undeclared (first use in this function)
ldm.c:387:5: note: each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in
make: *** [all] Error 1

Offline

#41 2011-09-30 12:44:51

TheLemonMan
Member
From: Italy
Registered: 2011-09-04
Posts: 214
Website

Re: ldm - Lightweight Device Mounter

Panda Joshu wrote:

sorry for my noobish question but how does this work compared to lets say...devmon? it's what im currently using.

It's pretty much the same, except that devmon is a bash script around udisk tools and ldm its an app based on libudev. I deal with the udev subsystem at a lower level and spare the ram usage of bash interpreter plus the utility running in background smile

I fixed the compilation error in the latest git master, late night commits are usually a bad idea heh smile

Offline

#42 2011-09-30 19:33:47

Panda Joshu
Member
Registered: 2011-09-29
Posts: 8

Re: ldm - Lightweight Device Mounter

TheLemonMan wrote:

It's pretty much the same, except that devmon is a bash script around udisk tools and ldm its an app based on libudev. I deal with the udev subsystem at a lower level and spare the ram usage of bash interpreter plus the utility running in background smile

I fixed the compilation error in the latest git master, late night commits are usually a bad idea heh smile

haha okay and ill check it out then

Offline

#43 2011-10-01 18:02:51

TheLemonMan
Member
From: Italy
Registered: 2011-09-04
Posts: 214
Website

Re: ldm - Lightweight Device Mounter

I added a named pipe to ease the unmount and to allow normal users to unmount devices even without being root (think of dmenu-based solutions). But i don't know where to put the pipe, it should be a place accessible by every user and it has to be mounted at boot time. Shoot your proposals smile

Offline

#44 2011-10-01 18:20:28

Army
Member
Registered: 2007-12-07
Posts: 1,784

Re: ldm - Lightweight Device Mounter

I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, but ldm doesn't mount devices anymore, it's been like that for quite a while. I went back to my udev rule which mounts external devices for me. I start the daemon with the rc.conf file. That's all that has to be done, right? What should I do for debugging?

Offline

#45 2011-10-01 20:01:44

anonymous_user
Member
Registered: 2009-08-28
Posts: 3,058

Re: ldm - Lightweight Device Mounter

Just to clarify, should ldm be launched as a deamon or directly via /usr/bin/ldm?

Also like Army mentioned, ldm isn't mounting anything for me. Also using the executable ldm tells me I need to be root.

Offline

#46 2011-10-01 20:44:12

Army
Member
Registered: 2007-12-07
Posts: 1,784

Re: ldm - Lightweight Device Mounter

anonymous_user wrote:

Just to clarify, should ldm be launched as a deamon or directly via /usr/bin/ldm?

TheLemonMan wrote:

Little update in the master branch, now it should work when started as daemon, if it doesnt still please report a bug on the github project page.
Thanks.

I'll try it one last time by starting ldm in the rc.local. If it still doesn't work, I'll open a bugreport.

edit: nope, no way, ldm doesn't do anything here...

Last edited by Army (2011-10-01 20:48:49)

Offline

#47 2011-10-02 22:54:03

Panda Joshu
Member
Registered: 2011-09-29
Posts: 8

Re: ldm - Lightweight Device Mounter

Sorry took so long to respond but works great thanks

Offline

#48 2011-10-03 12:50:37

TheLemonMan
Member
From: Italy
Registered: 2011-09-04
Posts: 214
Website

Re: ldm - Lightweight Device Mounter

Hurr, im hunting down the bug that prevents volumes from being mounted when launched as daemon. Don't worry, ill be as quick as possible and sorry again sad

Offline

#49 2011-10-03 13:39:55

Army
Member
Registered: 2007-12-07
Posts: 1,784

Re: ldm - Lightweight Device Mounter

Just to be sure you didn't miss it, ldm also doesn't mount anything here when started in a root-terminal.

Offline

#50 2011-10-03 14:25:57

TheLemonMan
Member
From: Italy
Registered: 2011-09-04
Posts: 214
Website

Re: ldm - Lightweight Device Mounter

The latest git master should fix all the permission issues smile try it and let me know

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB