You are not logged in.

#1 2003-11-24 18:05:13

lilsirecho
Veteran

Enable CDR/W in arch via hde-scsi

big_smile  smile     Not familiar with the arch method for enabling the cdr/w for system using pci IDE card.  In slackware it is identified as ..hde=ide-scsi... and the fstab uses scsi ID's for elements connected to the pci IDE ports.

Does arch handle these items differently? :?:  smile

The normal IDE ports utilize /dev/discs/disc0/partX for example...
     I suppose some different scheme is used for the pci ide ports roll  :?:  :!:

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#2 2003-11-25 00:06:06

kritoke
Website

Re: Enable CDR/W in arch via hde-scsi

I believe it should be the same.  Like in grub, I just add this to my kernel line:  hdc=ide-scsi to get my cd burner to work.

Kritoke

http://counter.li.org/ Registered Linux User #318963 kritoke@jabber.org

#3 2003-11-25 01:11:09

lilsirecho
Veteran

big_smile  smile Thanks for reply...
      I use lilo for the bootloader.

You didn't mention anything about fstab which mounts the drive and is required for operation after reboot.

My lilo has the scsi setup as well but for hde and has ide-reverse to take care of the pci IDE card attached to hde.

So the question reduces down to what is to be entered in arch's fstab for this arrangement?   Since the id for ide drives becomes discs what is proper for scsi discs?

When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#4 2003-11-25 01:24:45

kritoke
Website

http://www.linuxdocs.org/HOWTOs/SCSI-2. … devfs.html has the device name information.  I myself don't have any scsi devices.

Here is an excerpt from that site, which may prove to be helpful:

/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/disc    [whole disk]
/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/part6   [partition 6]
/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/generic [sg device for disk]

Kritoke

#5 2003-11-25 02:23:36

lilsirecho
Veteran

big_smile  smile Thanks again.

The case I have quoted concerns the use of an IDE device which is not connected to the motherboard IDE system but is connected to a PCI card which extends the number of IDE devices which can be addressed.

The addressing of such PCI IDE connected devices is handled by Linux with a scsi designator.  In slackware it appears as ....sda0...sda1..etc or some such designator in fstab. 

I am afraid the designator for this arrangement is different in Arch because the definition of the normal IDE devices is different than other linux OS's.

I am hoping to get a handle on the system arch uses for this condition...PCI IDE..designators required in fstab.

I have two devices which need the designators, one is the CDR/W and the other is a HD.  In addition, a USB HD requires a designator in arch fstab, of which I have one.
   The data you describe is usually established automatically when the designators are properly entered. 
    The question to be considered is what is to be entered in fstab for PCI IDE HD's or CDr/w  IDE devices as well as USB connected HD's  :?:

#6 2003-11-25 03:03:15

kritoke
Website

I use a promise IDE card in my machine for a few IDE devices.  I use the following to have it automount on startup (hopefully this can be a decent example that you can use):

/dev/discs/disc1/part1 /mnt/archive ntfs defaults,uid=kritoke 0 0
/dev/discs/disc2/part1 /mnt/archive2 ntfs defaults,uid=kritoke 0 0

As you can see, it really isn't much different than it being on the motherboard itself.

Kritoke

#7 2003-11-25 03:09:04

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

PCI IDE hard drives and hard drives connected to the motherboard should be accessible the same way.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#8 2003-11-25 03:58:50

lilsirecho
Veteran

big_smile  smile Gents:

Kritoke mentioned in an earlier post that he added ...hdc=ide-scsi... to his grub bootloader.
     I have the ...hde=ide-scsi... connected to PCI IDE....Any thing connected to PCI IDE therefore has to be identified as scsi because the system cannot recognize it as an IDE drive(obviously because it has been identified as hde=ide-scsi)  It usually requires a sym link to function as a CDR/W.
     I have a cdrom with DVD capability in hdc.  Usually I identify it as cdrom /dev hdc.  In arch it is identified in two entries in fstab one for CDrom and the other for DVD.

In slackware, the USB HD connected to USB 2.0 and the CDr/w are both identified with scsi ID's and appear in fstab with that identifier.

The example you gave does not include the ID for the CD which was established in the bootloader as  ide-scsi.  That same bootloader appears in my lilo and because the ID system in linux sets up the PCI first,  one must include..ide=reverse (lilo) in order that the first HDD for boot is (in the slackware system, deb too,) hda(in the arch system/dev/discs/disc0.
     How does one identify an external drive on USB 2.0 in fstab in the system called arch?  In slackware it is given a scsi designation which is in agreement with the entry made in lilo or grub regarding  hdx=ide-scsi. 
     I have identified in fstab two IDE drives, normally called hdb and hdc which are windows HDD's.  These mnt in Fat and Fat1 as vfat and their designators are in the arch format, disc 2 and disc 3.  The next designator is disc 4 which in my system is CDROM.
     If I continue to identify the PCI IDE connected drives, the next one is disc 5.  But, it has been identified in lilo as ...hde=ide-scsi.  Therefore the ID for it cannot follow the same system as the normal IDE identifiers.  Furthermore, if it is scsi, so must other drives connected to PCI IDE busses unless I am missing something, since the slave and the master on the same buss must be compatible.

How is USB HDD addressed in fstab?

#9 2003-11-25 04:21:19

lilsirecho
Veteran

big_smile I have to correct my previous....

My CDROM is hdc and the designator for the windows HDD is disc 3 which would be HDD in slackware or windows.  Then the next in line is the PCI IDE card with the CDr/w in scsi mode and it would be called disc 4 in arch if the system continues in that fashion except it isn't a hard drive but a scsi CDR/W so a new identifier is obvious to me!

Sorry for the error:  but still how to do the USB HDD?

#10 2003-11-25 08:53:36

lilsirecho
Veteran

big_smile  smile Hello again Kritoke....
     In reviewing your code for the IDE promise card, it appears to me that your first disc(disc0) is not listed.  As I see the arrangement based on my experience with the IDE system, the use of promise as your code indicates means that the promise card is the first boot set of devices(0 no being specified) and the two listed seem to be the master slave and secondary master provided by the promise card.

I would like to determine how to enable my CDRW and my USB HDD including the data  required in /etc/fstab and /mount files when using ..ide=reverse.  This reverses the ID ssystem making the promise devices discs4, 5,6 and 7.  Disc 4 has the CDRW installed as master.  There are no drives in the remainder of my promise card.
    The CDRW setup has to be something special since it has been referred to as a scsi drive in lilo.  It does not appear in my fstab nor /mount. :?  roll

#11 2003-11-26 17:27:59

lilsirecho
Veteran

To whom may be interested big_smile  smile

I have been able to establish usb operation of my external drive by entering thru insmod : modules ehci-hcd, usb-storage , and sd_mod.
     These are located in /lib/modules/2.4.21/kernel/drivers...these can be listed with ls -v to determine their ID. Then insmod -v (ID)

Then to establish the drive in fstab, first determine the system ID for the drive by entering:
              cdrecord -scanbus
     This will list the scsi ID for the drive(and drive data) such as

scsi0   (1,2,3,4,5,)
      This is then entered into fstab:(in my system fat drive)

/dev/sdax      /mnt/fat       vfat    defaults       0     0

Hope this helps......

Board footer