You are not logged in.

#1 2003-11-24 11:09:13

kirkl_uk

Windows XP and Arch Linux

How do I install both Windows XP and Arch Linux on my system? I want to be able to boot either of the two from a menu that loads after the bios. I have created 4 partitions (NTFS, linux root, linux swap, linux home) and installed Windows XP on the NTFS system, as well as Linux on the other partitions. How do I go about the booting process? Are there any better ways of doing this than as above?

Kirk

PS How do I make a user supervisor in Arch Linux? When I try and reboot under my made user, I do not have sufficient rights.

#2 2003-11-24 12:28:55

zen_guerrilla

Re: Windows XP and Arch Linux

kirkl_uk wrote:

How do I install both Windows XP and Arch Linux on my system? I want to be able to boot either of the two from a menu that loads after the bios. I have created 4 partitions (NTFS, linux root, linux swap, linux home) and installed Windows XP on the NTFS system, as well as Linux on the other partitions. How do I go about the booting process? Are there any better ways of doing this than as above?

Just add the following in your /boot/grub/menu.lst

# (1) Windoze XP
title  Windows XP Professional
root   (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1

I assume from your description that you installed XP on the 1st partition of your 1st disc. If not, replace hd0,0 according to your setup.

kirkl_uk wrote:

PS How do I make a user supervisor in Arch Linux? When I try and reboot under my made user, I do not have sufficient rights.

Just add that user in the root group in /etc/group. Or you can install sudo & 'man sudo' for details.
However, believe me, you don't want to do something like that. In windoze if you try to delete, ie the windows folder through explorer it'll stop you, pointing that this is evil. In linux you can easily call a 'rm -rf /' (as root) and wipe your disc out big_smile.
So better stick to a non-root user for everyday usage and su (or sudo) when you need root-access for a task.

#3 2003-11-24 18:30:42

Jagged

Re: Windows XP and Arch Linux

If by sufficient rights you mean access to cdburning, audio devices and whatnot, it's a matter of configuring things correctly

I suggest having some other user groups (like audio, cdrecord, videocapture) and whatnot, so you can give your different users access to different devices.

Edit /etc/devfsd.conf to use the groups for things like /dev/sound /dev/v4l and your cdburner (there are HOWTO's on devfsd available in many places).

Of course, if you are the only user on your system, you could just add those devices to the users group instead of the root/wheel group

Nkawtg...n!

Board footer