You are not logged in.

#1 2011-09-30 23:08:03

airbus001

ALSA problem with PulseAudio

Hello,

I use PulseAudio and have the ALSA backend installed. I run Xmonad and use amixer with XF86 hotkeys to control my volume. Last week I did a system wide upgrade from the 2.6.38 Kernel to the 3.0 Kernel, and today I merged the /etc/rc.conf.pacnew file with the rc.conf file. In doing so I had to get rid of Module Autoloading and blacklisting. Do note that my sound is working I just am not able to control the volume.

Now when I run alsamixer I get the follwing error:

socket(): Address family not supported by protocol
ALSA lib pulse.c:229:(pulse_connect) PulseAudio: Unable to connect: Connection refused

cannot open mixer: Connection refused 

My /etc/asound.conf file is(as suggested in the PulseAudio ArchWiki):

# Use PulseAudio by default
pcm.pulse {
    type pulse
}
ctl.pulse {
    type pulse
}
pcm.!default {
    type pulse
}
ctl.!default {
    type pulse
}
# vim:set ft=alsaconf: 

Some errors I get while trying to restart ALSA:

maddog /etc $ sudo /etc/rc.d/alsa force-restart
:: Trying to TERM or KILL processes that are blocking ALSA...                          
[BUSY] Cannot stat /dev/snd/by-path:: Bad address
Cannot stat pci-0000:00:07.0: Bad address
/dev/snd/pcmC0D0p:   13036m
Cannot stat /dev/snd/by-path:: Bad address
Cannot stat pci-0000:00:07.0: Bad address
                                                                                       [DONE] 
:: Saving ALSA Levels                                                                  [DONE] 
:: Restoring ALSA Levels                                                               [DONE]

cat /proc/asound/cards:

0 [NVidia         ]: HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
                      HDA NVidia at 0xfe020000 irq 21 

cat /proc/asound/modules:

0 snd_hda_intel 

cat /proc/asound/card0/codec* | grep Codec:

Codec: Analog Devices AD1988B
Codec: Nvidia MCP77/78 HDMI

I would really appreciate any help. I have looked on the internet and forums and irc rooms, and not been able to find a solution other than get rid of pulse or manage my volume some other way. Neither of which is a real solution because I have written scripts to control and display the volume with xmobar on xmonad.

Thanks,
airbus001

Last edited by airbus001 (2011-10-01 05:53:54)

#2 2011-10-01 02:14:02

Draucia

Re: ALSA problem with PulseAudio

I don't know much about this, but try using pavucontrol to control your volume? Or maybe you can try: alsamixer -Dhw

#3 2011-10-01 02:43:55

airbus001

Thank You for you reply, "alsamixer -Dhw" actually does bring up the alsamixer menu, but with many more options than before. The real problems is that my hotkeys are broken, and now AssualtCube has no audio.
I would really appreciate anyone's help.

Best,
airbus001

#4 2011-10-01 04:15:51

brebs

/etc/am... is not the correct filename! You've just made up that filename - try doing a google search for it - it matches this thread only.

#5 2011-10-01 05:53:25

airbus001

LOL. I did not realize that I had posted the wrong information, nonetheless my file is named asound.conf
I fixed the problem by removing PulseAudio, and modifying the scripts I had written for xmobar.

Board footer