You are not logged in.

#1 2011-09-29 08:05:30

kmakaron

Installaton hung on ThinkPad x120e

Greetings,
I have read a whole bunch of postings, and as it seems I am the only one that can't install ANY Linux on this piece of crap sad The damn thing comes with W7 preinstalled.
I have downloaded this USB Core installer archlinux-2011.08.19-core-dual.iso, and dd it to usb flash.
When I boot it, grub shows as expected, but when I select to boot either i686 or x86_64, kernel uncompresses and hangs at "Booting the kernel". This happens all the time.
I tried fedora 15, and ubuntu 11.10 beta, the same. I only managed to boot ubunto once.
Is there any kernel flags I can try to debug this issue. The flash memory is fine.
Thank you.

#2 2011-09-30 00:18:33

TheHebes

Re: Installaton hung on ThinkPad x120e

I have the exact same laptop. Have you tried the x86_64 specific image, rather than the dual architecture one? Also, in your BIOS, have you set a legacy BIOS precedence over UEFI?

Laptops:
MSI GS60 Ghost
Asus Zenbook Pro UX501VW
Lenovo Thinkpad X120e

#3 2011-10-01 21:29:49

kmakaron

Re: Installaton hung on ThinkPad x120e

Yes, the BIOS is in Legacy Mode. My BIOS version is 1.13. I found what is the reason for this problem. Apparantly when something is changed in the BIOS, and when Save and Exit option is selected, the system continues to boot without hard restart. In this position Linux will hang in the early boot process. This happens not only with USB installation flash, but with already installed on HDD Linux. When something have to be changed in the BIOS, i have to completly turn off, and then turn back on the laptop for Linux to boot. Can you verify this, so we can report bug to lenovo and/or Linux devs. Try for example:
1. Press enter, and then F1 to go to BIOS setup.
2. Toggle some option: for example CPU -> AMD V
3. Save and Exit
4. Boot to ArchLinux

Thank you, I hope to resolve positevly this issue, and report back to Lenovo.
PS: I like this little laptop smile

Board footer