You are not logged in.

#1 2005-07-08 17:04:50

Michel

self-compiled kernels won't work

Heya,

I have compiled 5 kernels or so. They are all different in configuration I think. I tried 2.6.12.2 together with mm2 and without it (and acpi-patches). I also tried compiling 2.6.12.1 with mm2. I'm using gcc-4.0.0.

The first kernels booted, but I couldn't get on the internet. It have me the response: Couldn't get requested adddress or something. Anwyay, I could gezt the ip of other machines, ..., but it couldn't get my own ip-address or something it seems. When I booted back in the old kernel, everything worked again.

I also tried compiling 2.6.12.2 with the default arch-config I believe, but changed the cpu from i686 or so to k-7. I think it gave a kernel-panic on bootup or the "couldn"t get teh requested address"-error when trying to reach an internet-site.

So, with each kernel I got the "couldn't get the requested address"-error or kernel-panic on bootup.

I was wondering if anyone else has encountered one of these problems ? I would like to compile my own kernel since maybe I won't get a frozen system then, like I know have from time to time (maybe an agp-problem .. not sure).

thanks,

Michel

#2 2005-07-08 17:42:40

paranoos

Re: self-compiled kernels won't work

since you could "get the address of other machines", it doesn't sound like you're missing modules for your ethernet card or anything.

the problem must lie in the kernel configuration... you will have more luck copying the standard arch kernel's config, and disabling only the modules that you don't use.

#3 2005-07-08 18:39:51

vacant

I'm running 2.6.12-ck3 which includes patches 2.6.12.2 on a Duron 900 - CONFIG_MK7=y. You say you used the "default arch-config". Did you run a "make oldconfig" first? This will stop and ask you about any newly added options.

#4 2005-07-08 20:13:47

shaurz

I've been running self-built kernels on Arch since forever (too many problems with the kernel packages)... Only vanilla non-minor-release ones for me.

Sure you have all the right networking stuff and drivers compiled in? It might be helpful to post the proper error message.

#5 2005-07-09 10:41:47

sepht

Could maybe be gcc 4.0, its been known to mis-compile some parts of the kernel.

Try 3.4 just to see if thats the problem

#6 2005-07-10 13:51:23

Michel

Heya,

thanks for all the answers. I tried compiling with gcc 3.4., but it gave the same error ... I'm (almost) ashamed ... it seems I didn't include filesystem-support for my boot-partition and other time(s)/or I included it as a module. About the networking-error ... maybe I forgot to include something. Anyway, after some recompiles to get the needed modules included for my speedtouch (it seems I didn't used the arch-config as a starting-point or I disabled the speedtouch-support), I got it working now.
I compiled the kernel with gcc-4.0.0, so gcc wasn't maybe the problem.

thanks for all the responses.

Michel

#7 2005-07-10 14:51:19

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

so - let me clarify - kernel panic was due to compiling without filesystem support for /boot and the reason for no internet was you forgot to compile the modules for your modem? gcc4 worked tho?

#8 2005-07-10 16:08:48

Michel

dibblethewrecker wrote:

so - let me clarify - kernel panic was due to compiling without filesystem support for /boot and the reason for no internet was you forgot to compile the modules for your modem? gcc4 worked tho?

Heya,

indeed that could be it. I'm pretty sure about the filesystem-support. In the beginning I maybe forgot to compile reiserfs-support for my boot-partition, then I compiled it as a module which won't work (which is logical maybe since the partition where the modules resisde is the same as the boot-partition. This brings me to the question ... which if they reside on another partition, is there a way to let the kernel load modules from there? I suppose the partition needs to be mounted already then?). About the "couldn't get the requested address"-error, I'm not sure. It could be that I didn't compile some needed components, but I'm not sure about that. I compiled the working kernel with gcc-4.0.0.

greetings and thanks again fo the responses,

Michel

#9 2005-07-10 16:17:10

jerem

Don't use that GCC4 now, it's absolutely not optimized(for now). It has almost the same performance as gcc3.4.

Why do people always have to rush to a new unstable version of GCC ?

Go use 3.4 and it will work.

#10 2005-07-10 17:35:43

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

jerem - that doesn't help - he already has done that - why jump to conclusions without reading the whole thread!

Board footer