You are not logged in.

#1 2011-10-02 22:14:32

bertzi

How to remove pulseaudio?

I am using alsa, and my last update installed pulseaudio which not works. I use xfce with gdm.
I figured out that gnome-settings-daemon requires it, and gdm requires gnome-settings-daemon. So I need to switch gdm to something else to be able to remove?

#2 2011-10-02 22:55:27

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: How to remove pulseaudio?

Did you read the wiki?

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2011-10-02 23:14:33

bertzi

ngoonee wrote:

Did you read the wiki?

Very useful answer, thank you. Which one, gdm's or pulseaudio's?
I just would like to know that it is normal that gdm now requires pulseaudio, or just a new bug.
Alsa worked all the time and I don't want to use pulseaudio... Also I don't want to switch to another login manager.

#4 2011-10-02 23:18:38

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

bertzi wrote:
ngoonee wrote:

Did you read the wiki?

I just would like to know that it is normal that gdm now requires pulseaudio, or just a new bug.
Alsa worked all the time and I don't want to use pulseaudio... Also I don't want to switch to another login manager.

Fact 0: Wiki/google comes first before posting a forum help-thread
Fact 1: Gnome uses pulseaudio, and has done so since before gnome3 was released. Before, this was optional on Arch, but patching upstream isn't generally our policy so now if you wish gnome to have sound, you need to use pulseaudio
Fact 2: GDM, as part of gnome, depends on pulseaudio. I don't think you can even have sound from it if you don't use pulseaudio.
Fact 3: Having pulseaudio installed doesn't mean you have to use it (check the pulseaudio wiki on ways to stop it from starting up).

No, this is not a bug (well, not one that is fixable, anyway).

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#5 2011-10-02 23:54:00

bertzi

ngoonee wrote:
bertzi wrote:
ngoonee wrote:

Did you read the wiki?

Fact 0: Wiki/google comes first before posting a forum help-thread
Fact 1: Gnome uses pulseaudio, and has done so since before gnome3 was released. Before, this was optional on Arch, but patching upstream isn't generally our policy so now if you wish gnome to have sound, you need to use pulseaudio
Fact 2: GDM, as part of gnome, depends on pulseaudio. I don't think you can even have sound from it if you don't use pulseaudio.
Fact 3: Having pulseaudio installed doesn't mean you have to use it (check the pulseaudio wiki on ways to stop it from starting up).

No, this is not a bug (well, not one that is fixable, anyway).

Thank you for the answer. (This time not ironically)
As probably lot of people I hate reading wikis.
I knew gnome needs pulseaudio. And as I far as I know gdm should be used with any other Dekstop Environment not just gnome (without the dependencies of gnome).
Gnome3 appeared in april (I switched from gnome2 to xfce then) and I have this problem only from today (As I sad pulseaudio was installed first time with my last upgrade with gnome 3.2 not gnome3).
Gdm needing pulseaudio brokes the flexibility, which is a major problem I think. (So flexibility isn't anymore Arch's policy? As it is mentioned in the first sentence of the main site)

#6 2011-10-03 00:31:12

the sad clown

bertzi wrote:

I think you need to overcome this if you are going to use a DIY distro like arch.  What you are frequently doing by refusing to read it and asking questions here is forcing others to read the wiki for you and then regurgitate it for you here.

If you don't want to be methodical about it, you could at least do a google search like this: "site:archlinux.org <whateveritisiamlookingfor>".  This will pull in everything from the Arch website, forum, wiki, bugs, etc.  Please don't make people do the work for you just because you don't like to read.

I laugh, yet the joke is on me

#7 2011-10-03 00:36:20

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

bertzi wrote:

Thank you for the answer. (This time not ironically)

Get rid of that hate. If you want to use Arch Linux, learn to read wikis and google for answers. Don't be a help vampire.

bertzi wrote:

[I knew gnome needs pulseaudio. And as I far as I know gdm should be used with any other Dekstop Environment not just gnome (without the dependencies of gnome).
Gnome3 appeared in april (I switched from gnome2 to xfce then) and I have this problem only from today (As I sad pulseaudio was installed first time with my last upgrade with gnome 3.2 not gnome3).
Gdm needing pulseaudio brokes the flexibility, which is a major problem I think. (So flexibility isn't anymore Arch's policy? As it is mentioned in the first sentence of the main site)

This has nothing to do with Arch's policy. Arch's policy in this matter is not to patch upstream as far as is possible. Please take the matter up with upstream, since gdm is quite obviously the Gnome Display Manager. Try lightdm or something if this bothers you. GDM pulls in pulseaudio via gnome-settings-daemon, the latter will not work without pulseaudio. Whether the Gnome DM can work without Gnome's settings daemon is open to conjecture, you can try it out and see if it does. In any case, I don't see any motivation for upstream to support that use-case.

#8 2011-10-03 01:08:10

bertzi

the sad clown wrote:
bertzi wrote:

I think you need to overcome this if you are going to use a DIY distro like arch.  What you are frequently doing by refusing to read it and asking questions here is forcing others to read the wiki for you and then regurgitate it for you here.

If you don't want to be methodical about it, you could at least do a google search like this: "site:archlinux.org <whateveritisiamlookingfor>".  This will pull in everything from the Arch website, forum, wiki, bugs, etc.  Please don't make people do the work for you just because you don't like to read.

Thank you that was helpful. I tried:
site:archlinux.org pacman force remove package

And it found it in other post that
pacman -Rdd pulseaudio
removes without checking the dependecies. I restarted and now the sound works fine also gdm works.

#9 2011-10-03 02:04:50

bertzi

I was a little curious to find out that this option is in the wiki page of pacman or not, and yes it is not...
So how can it be that a forum moderator asks an arrogant question like: "Did you read the wiki?". Maybe that is why the arch community is so small despite the fact that arch is the best distro.

Last edited by bertzi (2011-10-03 02:05:33)

#10 2011-10-03 02:33:37

the sad clown

Because doing so has the possibility of causing system breakage if not done carefully and with some awareness of what you are doing.  For future reference, another excellent source of information are manual pages for applications.  Try "man pacman" for a rather detailed account of all the functions of pacman.  Also, the wiki does in fact point you to the man page for pacman for a more indepth treatment of the subject, so if you had read the wiki, you would have been directed to the man page.

Last edited by the sad clown (2011-10-03 02:36:13)

I laugh, yet the joke is on me

#11 2011-10-03 03:20:36

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

bertzi wrote:

I was a little curious to find out that this option is in the wiki page of pacman or not, and yes it is not...
So how can it be that a forum moderator asks an arrogant question like: "Did you read the wiki?". Maybe that is why the arch community is so small despite the fact that arch is the best distro.

man pacman wrote:

TRANSACTION OPTIONS (APPLY TO -S, -R AND -U)
       -d, --nodeps
           Skips dependency version checks. Package names are still checked.
           Normally, pacman will always check a package’s dependency fields to
           ensure that all dependencies are installed and there are no package
           conflicts in the system. Specify this option twice to skip all
           dependency checks.

Whether or not Arch is the 'best distro', its users are still expected to be able to read documentation and search for answers before asking.

#12 2011-10-03 03:44:05

bertzi

ngoonee wrote:

Whether or not Arch is the 'best distro', its users are still expected to be able to read documentation and search for answers before asking.

I searched the forums for pulseaudio (maybe someone else's had the same problem), that is why ended up here. I was sure this problem is something new that is why I didn't bothered with the documentations.

Last edited by bertzi (2011-10-03 03:44:26)

#13 2011-10-03 07:56:51

Rasi
Website

You can recompile gnome-settings-daemon with abs using the --disable-pulse switch. Works just fine, tho it has some minor drawbacks, but thats not really important.

He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.

Douglas Adams

#14 2011-10-03 09:16:36

Skirnir

Or use this packagebuild:gnome-settings-daemon-nopulse [1]
which sets the same switch @Rasi mentioned.

Skirnir

[1] https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=48718

#15 2011-10-03 09:29:09

goetzkluge
Website

I used pulseaudio before the last upgrade. After the upgrade sound was gone.

[2011-10-02 21:09] >>> See the wiki at http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PulseAudio for details
[2011-10-02 21:09]     on configuring your system for PulseAudio.
[2011-10-02 21:09]
[2011-10-02 21:09] >>> Make sure to install pulseaudio-alsa to configure ALSA for PulseAudio.
[2011-10-02 21:09] installed pulseaudio (1.0-2)
[2011-10-02 21:09] installed alsa-plugins (1.0.24-2)
[2011-10-02 21:09] installed pulseaudio-alsa (1-2)

I agree that the wiki should be read. But the http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PulseAudio was a bit too much for me. I get along with Linux, but sound issues I don't understand too well. So I seemingly I first asked questions (https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 94#p998394) in the wrong thread. I don't know, whether this one is the right one either.

Last edited by goetzkluge (2011-10-03 09:41:19)

#16 2011-10-03 09:41:10

Cilph

Who hates wikis? I think they are the most useful source of help on the web.

As others have pointed out GNOME requires PulseAudio but is this really a bad thing? I've used PulseAudio with XFCE for a long time now and I quite enjoy it, more so than plain ALSA. As for a GDM replacement, use SLiM.

#17 2011-10-03 09:47:02

goetzkluge
Website

Cilph, In general, http://wiki.archlinux.org/ is very helpful. http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PulseAudio didn't help me. But I don't blame the wiki for that.

I use XFCE too.

Does this provide some useful information?: pacmd list > http://www.goetzkluge.de/pacmd_list.txt

#18 2011-10-03 12:31:14

bertzi

goetzkluge wrote:

I use XFCE too.

I suggest then simply switch to alsa, it is definitely easier to configure (you have to add only into the daemons list that's all):
So remove pulseaudio:

sudo pacman -Rs pulseaudio

If the previous not works then:

sudo pacman -Rdd pulseaudio

Install alsa:

sudo pacman -S alsa-utils alsa-plugins alsa-oss

Then add "@alsa" to the daemons list:

sudo nano /etc/rc.conf

Last edited by bertzi (2011-10-03 12:52:26)

#19 2011-10-03 14:26:56

goetzkluge
Website

Thank you. But also after removing pulseausio, sound is dead.

Probably I should remove alsa as well (sudo pacman -Sdd ...) and reinstall it.

I'll open a new thread for that.

#20 2011-10-03 14:42:56

Cilph

After removing Pulse you should update /etc/asound.conf to reflect this.

#21 2011-10-03 15:08:41

goetzkluge
Website

Cilph, thank you.

Ok. As this is about removing pulseaudio (is that really a good idea for the future?) and just running with alsa, I stay in this thread.

/etc/asound.conf is already:

## https://wiki.archlinux.de/title/Alsa#Festlegen_des_Default-Device

pcm.!default {
   type hw
   card ATIIXP
}
ctl.!default {
   type hw
   card ATIIXP
}

There are no configurations in userspace.

/etc/modprobe.d/alsa.conf is

options snd slots=snd_atiixp

As for DAEMONS in rc.conf I tried "alsa" (which worked fine before the upgrade) as well as "@alsa"

More:

$ ls -l /dev/snd
total 0
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root       60 Oct  3 16:09 by-path
crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116,  5 Oct  3 16:09 controlC0
crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116,  4 Oct  3 16:09 pcmC0D0c
crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116,  3 Oct  3 16:09 pcmC0D0p
crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116,  2 Oct  3 16:09 pcmC0D1p
crw-rw----  1 root audio 116,  1 Oct  3 16:09 seq
crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116, 33 Oct  3 16:09 timer
$ ls -l /sys/module/snd/holders
total 0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Oct  3 16:36 snd_ac97_codec -> ../../snd_ac97_codec
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Oct  3 16:36 snd_atiixp -> ../../snd_atiixp
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Oct  3 16:36 snd_pcm -> ../../snd_pcm
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Oct  3 16:36 snd_timer -> ../../snd_timer
$ cat /proc/asound/modules
 0 snd_atiixp
$ amixer
amixer: Mixer attach default error: No such device
$ lsmod|grep '^snd' | column -t
snd_atiixp      10587  0
snd_ac97_codec  90021  1  snd_atiixp
snd_pcm         60015  2  snd_atiixp,snd_ac97_codec
snd_timer       15374  1  snd_pcm
snd             43561  4  snd_atiixp,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm,snd_timer
snd_page_alloc  5837   2  snd_atiixp,snd_pcm

Alsa seemingly now is missing something. Previously I got:

$ amixer
Simple mixer control 'Master',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined penum
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 65536
  Mono:
  Front Left: Playback 31008 [47%] [off]
  Front Right: Playback 31008 [47%] [off]
Simple mixer control 'Capture',0
  Capabilities: cvolume cswitch cswitch-joined penum
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Capture 0 - 65536
  Front Left: Capture 43800 [67%] [off]
  Front Right: Capture 43800 [67%] [off]

Also alsamixer was running. So perhaps just the default was wrong when pulseaudio still was installed?

Last edited by goetzkluge (2011-10-03 15:15:09)

#22 2011-10-03 16:32:41

goetzkluge
Website

At least my problem is solved.

After I removed pulseaudio, I deleted

/etc/asound.conf
/etc/modprobe.d/alsa.conf
/etc/pulse/

Then autodetection seems to have worked fine.

(I'll give pulseaudio a try once an application needs it.)

Last edited by goetzkluge (2011-10-03 16:33:30)

Board footer