You are not logged in.

#1 2005-07-10 22:16:56

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Personal music device recommendations.

I am looking to pick up an mp3 player or some similar device. I have heard people have trouble with ipods, and them not working smashingly with linux.

What do other Archers use? Any recommendations?

I would prefer something that uses an open format like mp3 or ogg, so I can easily move files from box to box without having to deal with shit drm and such.
A small form factor and fairly long batter life would be good too.

Many thanks. tongue

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#2 2005-07-10 23:56:28

poetofnumbers
Website

Re: Personal music device recommendations.

Well, I own a Rio Karma with which I am very pleased.  It has usb (type b) connections on the player and the dock.  Also the dock has an ethernet jack.  I found setting up the ethernet connection was very easy (using dhcp).  I have not been able to figure out how to set up transfers over usb, but this might just be because of my own ignorance.  On the device itself is a jar file which contains a java application which can be run on linux to handle file transfers.

I enjoy the ogg vorbis support.  However, when getting on and off my bike, I occasionally and accidentally stop the play of a song via the red button --- see the pictures on the above link.  The player also comes with very nice ear buds as well.  This is my 2 cents.

Sweet, now I can play with myself.

#3 2005-07-11 00:16:38

iphitus
Forum Fellow

From what I've seen, ipods work awesomely in Linux, it's just some of the newbies that have trouble with them...

iphitus

#4 2005-07-11 00:42:09

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

do ipods allow you to play ogg? mp3s?
Can you transfer files arbitrarily between machines?

Just saying, "they work great for non-newbies" is about as useful as being poked in the eye.

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#5 2005-07-11 01:03:03

Euphoric Nightmare

cactus wrote:

do ipods allow you to play ogg? mp3s?
Can you transfer files arbitrarily between machines?

Just saying, "they work great for non-newbies" is about as useful as being poked in the eye.

My girlfriend has an ipod, and it definately plays mp3's.  But apples format implements some crap drm that restricts you to certain rules, I don't remember exactly what they are but a quick google search would learn you.

#6 2005-07-11 01:18:36

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

aac i think. I know that format, but I didn't know ipods supported mp3 easily, or well..good to know. if anyone has info about how well ipods work, or info about getting them to work, with linux, that would be appreciated too..

and any other players out there.

"tacos" -- Cactus' Law

#7 2005-07-11 01:54:25

poetofnumbers
Website

iRiver was a player I was consider buying.  I didn't see an iRiver site for "The desert", so I just assumed my country which is America.

Sweet, now I can play with myself.

#8 2005-07-11 02:13:47

babyigor37

I have an older iriver player, the iHP-120, which was made back in the halcyon days of yore when MP3 players didn't need colour screens or JPEG support and 20GB players could be had for under $250.  In other words, I bought it last August.  While I haven't used one of the newer iriver players, the one I have plays MP3s, OGGs and mounts as a USB drive, meaning I can use any file manager I want to copy files over, regardless of whether I'm using Windows or Linux.  I do have to use a separate program, however, to index the files according to id3 tags.  The iriver players also come with FM tuner support, voice recording and an AC adapter, which is more useful than it sounds, considering I just spent most of last Thursday driving from electronics store to electronics store trying to find the AC adapter accessory for my mom's ipod mini.  And according to linuxquestions, the newer irivers work identically to the one I have, right down to the python script for databasing the id3 tags.

#9 2005-07-11 03:12:52

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

wow. 1GB flash player, and runs for up to 40 hours off a single AA battery. smile
http://www.iriveramerica.com/prod/ultra … p_899.aspx

I might have to take a closer look at these iRivers. I could probably use AA rechargable batteries, and save some $$ in the long run. smile

"tacos" -- Cactus' Law

#10 2005-07-11 10:16:17

arooaroo
Website

Is this from the same guy who wrote a blog called "ipod harmful to society?" Now all the cute girls won't be able to ask you what time it is! wink

#11 2005-07-11 10:33:10

Michel

Heya,

I don't own one, but neuros has opensource firmware I believe (check their opensource link.

Maybe you'll find it interesting ...

greetings,

Michel

edit: It seems their portable audio-player isn't listed any more on their site. However, they have announced the architecture for their new player ...?

#12 2005-07-11 14:56:41

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

cactus wrote:

aac i think. I know that format, but I didn't know ipods supported mp3 easily, or well..good to know. if anyone has info about how well ipods work, or info about getting them to work, with linux, that would be appreciated too..

and any other players out there.

I have an ipod (4G).  I also provide the gtkpod package in the community repo.  I can say they work beautifully.

Under linux, it's really easy to mess with: I setup mine on windows (you can buy this as a default), which mean's it's a vfat drive.  Getting it to work under linux was as simple as: adding the mount rules, installing gtkpod, and clicking "let gtkpod control mounting and unmounting of this device" - bam, done!

As it stands now, I don't know if I'd recommend an ipod anymore, but I haven't tried anything else (mines 40 gigs, so I have no compliants).  They scratch *really* easy, but otherwise are very nice.

Oh, and as a plus, you can read text files on it, keep contacts (gtkpod will convert them from a bunch of other formats), and even play games.

PS The current gtkpod doesn't support AAC, because who uses that format (it's also a bitch of a dependancy) - if it's important that AAC support be included, let me know.  And no, ipods cannot play oggs - I had to convert my entire library 8(

PPS http://www.ipodlinux.org/ !! I've been meaning to try this

Edit:

/dev/sda2 /mnt/ipod vfat defaults,user,noauto 0 0

#13 2005-07-11 15:22:51

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

arooaroo wrote:

Is this from the same guy who wrote a blog called "ipod harmful to society?" Now all the cute girls won't be able to ask you what time it is! wink

I am most likely going to use it at work, if I do even decide to get one. It would be nice to sit there coding away with some tunes playing.

"tacos" -- Cactus' Law

#14 2005-07-11 15:26:12

arooaroo
Website

cactus wrote:

I am most likely going to use it at work, if I do even decide to get one. It would be nice to sit there coding away with some tunes playing.

Man, I don't think I could code without music in the background. Just make sure you don't start singing out-loud. It won't go down well with your colleagues, especially if you're as tone-deaf as I!

#15 2005-07-11 19:24:22

dk

I purchased an iriver ifp-795 512M and have been very happy with it. You'll have to ditch the firmware add install the ums driver to use it as mass storage. the ums firmware has a few minor bugs ( like no backlight while recording ) but stuff most can live with. I don't know about ~40hrs from a AA battery. I get more like ~20-25hrs on mine. Check the ogg support carefully on the series you're looking at. The ifp-795 only supports ogg bit rates of 96 to 225. I have both mp3 and ogg on the device. The gain on the mp3's is much higher than the ogg files and
I end up having to adjust the volume quite a bit.

#16 2005-07-12 05:48:46

iphitus
Forum Fellow

I'm planning to get an iPod later this year...... they have podcasting support big_smile and that just rocks.

iphitus

#17 2005-07-12 15:41:09

robot5x

I recently got an ibead 400. 512mb, ogg support (with firmware upgrade), 12hr playback from a 3hr charge, built-in li-on battery which charges from usb port - but ac adapters are available. Output was important to me since a lot of players sound tinny - this has a respectable 20mw per channel output, which I've tested extensively on different planes! many equalizer options etc, you can even put text files on there and use the OLED display to read them. ALl this for around 120euro. got mine from goaudio.co.uk here
Works as a mass storage device no problems in arch.
good luck

#18 2005-07-12 18:19:04

mezoko
Website

I'm looking at getting a Zen Touch or any Zen product. They have a 20gig module for $230 plus a fm tuner and some other cool features.

NOTE: GIVE ME ALL YOUR MONEY OR ELSE :-K

"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself." - Franklin D. Roosevelt

#19 2005-07-13 04:54:00

iphitus
Forum Fellow

dont go past this

Apple iPod Flea

It's soo cheap, and has got sooo many awesome accessories, it's apple, and best of all

it's absolutely tiny.

See the video here:
http://iphitus.loudas.com/downloads/flea.mov
here
http://www.layersmagazine.com/videofiles/flea.mov
or the original asf stream, here:
http://www.nytimes.com/video/html/2005/ … VIDEO.html

iphitus

#20 2005-07-13 05:05:55

pjmattal
Forum Fellow

If you must have great audio quality, the Karma can't be beat. 20GB, and plays FLAC, for the best audio quality. Also, battery lasts a long time (longer than Ipods).

Also, a rough comparison of audio circuitry quality suggests the analog circuitry and amp are higher quality in the Karma than in the Ipods.

Benefits of Ipods: Better support, fewer quirks of hardware. The Karma can be quite quirky, but if you're willing to pick through the boards and give it a little TLC, the Karma is the awesome performer. I recommend using USB connected to Windows for transferring audio. The device doesn't appear as a mass storage device via USB. The ethernet interface, accessible through the dock, is severely speed limited (10MBps).

- P

#21 2005-07-13 05:28:36

iphitus
Forum Fellow

still doesnt beat the ipod flea.

#22 2005-07-15 07:02:26

Daenzello

if you need long battery life as I do, take a look on the new sony's: about 50-70 play hours. There are 1gb flash and 20-40 gb hard drive players. It's not linux compatible (needs an ugly windows app for the music transer) but you can use it as usb mass storage for others files.

#23 2005-07-15 09:03:44

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Spose I should mention that you shouldnt get a panasonic player. Great player, but totally wrecked by the software, uses realOne to transfer stuff onto it, and will only transfer using the included sd-card reader. It does not work in wine/cedega/crossover.

#24 2005-08-17 00:59:55

bosewicht

I recently bought a 4G 20gig iPod and haven't had any probs with it on my laptop running nix, using gtkpod. I recently installed gtkpod on my desktop and have been getting errors trying to start it. The only prob I have found is even after you unmount the iPod, it still says "do not disconnect" (ok, so mine talks.. lol ) but if it is unmounted, it's safe to disconnect. I read somewhere a fix for this, but it doesn't really seem like too much of an issue for me. Just make sure you unmount.  Oh, and yeah, you can transfer them from the iPod to your computer as mp3's. There are only a couple of supported music formats though. mp3/mp3 VBR, AAC, WAV, Apple Lossless, AIFF.

This post is a month old and I'm sure cactus bought one already.

<b>There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary
and those who don't.</b>

<b>I'm Steve and I'm a Super Villian</b>
http://www.rofl.name/flash/switchlinux4

#25 2005-08-17 01:27:56

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Yeah. I bought an iriver. It works quite good. I can go a few weeks on a single double A battery. smile
I just put on a day or two's worth of songs, and off I go..

ps. I should have gotten the 1gb flash drive instead of the 512mb flash drive.

"tacos" -- Cactus' Law

Board footer