You are not logged in.

#1 2003-11-23 08:44:19

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

fluxbox 0.9.6 AA fonts

Ok heres the problem:

I copied the fluxbox PKGBUILD and changed it for the newest version of fluxbox... the only difference was that I added --enable-xft --enable-gnome --enable-kde as my flags and am using the 0.9.6 sources.

No everything works all fine and dandy, however the executable that it spits off does not have xft enabled (pkg/usr/bin/fluxbox -info spits out "-XFT" indicating it was disabled)

Any help would be appretiated.

#2 2003-11-23 21:05:17

contrasutra

Re: fluxbox 0.9.6 AA fonts

Worked fine when I built it. Do you have freetype1 and 2 installed? I suppose you would.

Try my package and see if it works.

"Contrary to popular belief, penguins are not the salvation of modern technology.  Neither do they throw parties for the urban proletariat."

#3 2003-11-24 12:10:37

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

At one point or another I did have yours.... I think I wanted --enable-kde so I self built it.  One possiblity I thought of was that I was running under the "nv" driver which didnt have RENDER extensions IIRC... I'll do some more checking into it and report my progress shortly.

#4 2003-11-24 13:20:15

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Well contra... removed the package I made and installed yours - yet it still reports XFT as missing.

Do me a favor and check /usr/bin/fluxbox -info on your system... mine has XFT disabled and Xinerama enabled (though I dont particularly need it).

I have no clue why, if you specified Xft enabled and it works on your system, it doesn't work on mine... going to do some checking... I know fc-cache works so I do have freetype/fontconfig installed (and pacman forces it anyway when installing X 4.3).  I'll get back to you.

In addition, the newest tarballs from fluxbox.org have a few newer additions that your package does not... namely the addition of the startfluxbox script and the .fluxbox/startup file.  These aren't important, but I'd like to keep my setup as close to the current one as possible - so if you get around to upgrading the package sometime soon let me know.

#5 2003-11-24 20:31:30

contrasutra

I think this is another problem with pango/freetype.

Its pretty much the only thing I can think of. It finds XFT, it just cant link to it.

This problem really has to be fixed.

Oh, and a newer version of fluxbox came out. Ill upload a new package, this time w/ KDE and GNOME enabled.

"Contrary to popular belief, penguins are not the salvation of modern technology.  Neither do they throw parties for the urban proletariat."

#6 2003-11-24 20:50:36

sarah31
Website

freetype2 does not have a problem. the problem is with the programs that link to it or use it. the developers of these apps need to upgrade their code that is related to freetype.

one thing you can look for is freetype warnings during compilation of fluxbox. you can pipe the output to a file and then analyze this file after.

the other thing you can do is look at the logs to see if there is any info thare about issues fluxbox is having.

the fix will have to be applied to fluxbox likely if it is a freetype2 issue.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#7 2003-11-24 23:48:07

contrasutra

Sarah, I dont call this an acceptable answer: "Its not freetypes fault. Its every other program in existance".

Its called Compatability. Freetype should have kept it. If they wanted to do something like this, they should have called it freetype3. You cant do something major in a point release.

So yes, its freetype's problem.

Im going to start another thread so we can discuss solutions for the common apps (gimp, pango, gtk2). Because I dont know C.

#8 2003-11-25 00:21:53

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

I think it's kinda silly to get mad at Sarah for what the freetype developers did.

I think it's also silly to expect other people to live up to your expectations for releases.  Release numbers mean nothing.  Usually it is expected that certain things mean certain other things but ultimately they're just useless numbers.  A lot of the time a number that's higher than another number means a newer version but not always.

Who knows, maybe they were fixing a bug by forcing proper usage of their library.  That's what it sounds like they're doing.  Every change is going to affect compatibility, no matter what.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#9 2003-11-25 00:44:02

contrasutra

1. Im not mad at Sarah.

2. Numbers do mean something, otherwise they wouldn't be there. With previous freetype releases, when changes were made that caused incompatability, the major version was changed. ie. Freetype1 is incompatable with freetype2.

How would you like it if the kernel team one day decided to make even numbered releases the testing version. It would cause some chaos. People go to download the latest stable source and get some half-broken developers build.

And of course, they've only posted it on the mailing list, so the general public has no idea.

3. If they are forcing proper usage, they should have given more warning. If all the major packages wont build, it seems that the freetype crew just sprung it on the world.

#10 2003-11-25 01:28:36

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

wow did I cause a stink...

Just to clarify this - both my version and yours do not have proper XFT enabled, correct?

I'll look into it a bit and see if I can throw together a patch... doubt I'd be faster than someone else attempting the same thing though

#11 2003-11-25 01:45:01

contrasutra

Correct, mine don't have XFT properly enabled.

Ive tried many different things, and it seems to be a problem with pango/freetype.

I did enable kde/gnome extensions on the new package though.

#12 2003-11-25 02:52:41

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

2. Numbers mean something only if you associate something with them.  The kernel developers have said that all even minor versions are stable.  That means that for all the kernel releases from then on (till they change their minds) will follow this scheme.  Does freetype have such a scheme?

3. Do the developers of fluxbox even know that the newest version of freetype doesn't work with their software?  Just because freetype was upgraded they don't/can't contact everyone who uses it and tell them there may be problems with their new version.  Maybe they have a fix in CVS that hasn't made it to release yet.  Imagine if every piece of software that depended on something that was upgraded was released at the same time because of an incompatible change.

What extra warning can they give, especially for something as widely used as freetype?  And what if the developer of fluxbox doesn't want do the work to support the newest version, sort of like the problem from gnome 1.3 to gnome 2?  There are lots of factors to take into account.

From the sounds of it it seems like a pretty easy thing to fix anyway.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#13 2003-11-26 11:11:30

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Well as far as fluxbox is concerned, I know it specifically supports freetype2 as I looked through the aclocal scripts to confirm this (if freetype2 fails it should fall back on freetype if available).  The problem I have come up with is this:  The configuration of fluxbox attempts to compile this (well almost, I removed the Fortran77 stuff for simplicity) ->

#include <X11/Xft/Xft.h>
int main()
{
 XftFontClose(0, 0); return 1;
  ;
  return 0;
}

Now when I tried to do this from the command line using

gcc -o test `pkg-config --cflags xft` test.c `pkg-config --libs xft`

I recieved quite a few errors, mainly indicating that the FT_* types (alal freetype) could not be found... I'll look into it more, but I don't think it's a fluxbox problem as I have built it myself on a debian system and a gentoo system... I'll do more testing and get back to you.

---------------

Ok weird... but as I was writing this I attempted a recompile of the above and it worked (though segfaults as expected on run).  Yet fluxbox will still not detect Xft... as stated, I'll report in on progress later

Board footer