You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-21 16:45:25

picilli

New laptops with a blank disk ?

Does someone know a store which sell blank disk laptops ? I mean, we have to pay for pre installed Windows on their HD; just like we buy desktop computers with a blank disk, it would be cool if we could get the same on laptops, netbooks.

Because, I feel Microsoft is taxing us for (not) using their product even if we'll run linux or bsd or something else and will have nothing to do with the product from Redmond. And why would we pay a licence for something we'll never use ?

I know there are some vendors who sell pre-installed Debian, SuSe, RedHat, but, perhaps that's not our linux option. Do we still pay a licence to Redmond if the vendor just erased Windows and installed Debian on a HD, or the vendor obtained blank disk laptops from a manufacturer ?

A store  in US or Canada please, I believe S&H over border would be acceptable. A mail order from overseas I think would be to expensive.

#2 2010-07-21 16:47:40

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: New laptops with a blank disk ?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi … ve&x=0&y=0

Yet another option is to buy second hand....making sure that it works of course wink

If you are looking to buy a bare bones laptop then there are a few vendors who do that as well.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3 2010-07-21 16:55:14

picilli

That's only a blank HD without a laptop. Why would we buy an extra HD if we already paid the one with preinstalled Windows in the laptop ?

Yet another option is to buy second hand....making sure that it works of course wink

Maybe, but it comes without any warranty.

If you are looking to buy a bare bones laptop then there are a few vendors who do that as well.

That's probably what I am looking for, as long as they don't include preinstalled Windows on hard drives. Know for any such vendors ?

Last edited by picilli (2010-07-21 16:57:46)

#4 2010-07-21 17:00:13

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

picilli wrote:

That's only a blank HD without a laptop. Why would we buy an extra HD if we already paid the one with preinstalled Windows in the laptop ?

Why would I assume that you have already paid for pre-installed hard drive? You could buy your "first" hard drive at this site.

picilli wrote:

That's probably what I am looking for, as long as they don't include preinstalled Windows on hard drives. Know for any such vendors ?

You are most likely not going to get name brands. Here's one link (found via Google) that shows what you need and where you can find it.

http://www.directron.com/laptopdiy.html

Asus tends to sell barebone cases. But its difficult to find on their website. The link I gave you has some Asus cases available. You will have to get all the individual pieces and build it yourself.

Last edited by Inxsible (2010-07-21 17:11:27)

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#5 2010-07-21 17:09:46

Skripka

picilli wrote:

NewEgg has them, if you're in the USA.

#6 2010-07-21 17:12:08

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Skripka wrote:
picilli wrote:

NewEgg has them, if you're in the USA.

That's the link I gave him. But I guess the op is looking for barebones laptops

Forum Rules

#7 2010-07-21 17:26:44

picilli

Inxsible wrote:
picilli wrote:

Why would I assume that you have already paid for pre-installed hard drive? You could buy your "first" hard drive at this site.

You didn't know, all right, but I want to buy a new laptop without sending extra cash to Redmond for their product I will not use. It will be my first laptop, I don't havy any notebooks, laptops, netbooks yet.

I know of vendors in my city who sell parts including blank HD, but they come without a laptop smile The only solution in this case is to seek a vendor who would sell a laptop without a HD. And than, if such a vendor exist I'll have to open the laptop and install the HD myself, which is not very convenient especially if you are not technically inclined and/or have no experience opening laptops and installing parts.

What I was asking for, is a store with a complete laptops ready to install an operating system on its blank HD, whichever OS we already have on a CD. Imagine I have a legal (and many people do) copy of Windows-whatever-recent--version, on a CD or DVD; by purchasing a new laptop in regular stores you pay MS licence once again, which is ridiculous, especially if we want to run a totally different OS which has nothing to do with Redmond.

Last edited by picilli (2010-07-21 17:28:27)

#8 2010-07-21 17:29:24

Skripka

Inxsible wrote:

I click your linkie, and I get a page of 2.5" HDDs for laptops, not barebone machines.  You might want to check that linky to make sure you copied the right one. wink

#9 2010-07-21 17:30:46

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

If its the principle you are talking about then I can probably understand.

But if its only about money, Windows laptops are often cheaper than the similar configuration laptops that you would buy at lets say System76.

Barebones would totally depend on what you want to put in, but it requires technical know how and determination to build the laptop.

Forum Rules

#10 2010-07-21 17:31:16

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Skripka wrote:
Inxsible wrote:

I click your linkie, and I get a page of 2.5" HDDs for laptops, not barebone machines.  You might want to check that linky to make sure you copied the right one. wink

I know but that was before the OP clarified that he was looking for barebones laptops.

Forum Rules

#11 2010-07-21 17:50:58

jac
Website

At Pro-Star you can get laptops without an OS, it seems. Does $90-$200 sound right for an installation of Windows now-a-days? They're all mid to hi range, I don't know what you're looking for in the rest of the laptop.

Edit: Actually there is one laptop there with less than an i5, if you look at <$600 items.

Last edited by jac (2010-07-21 17:53:10)

#12 2010-07-21 18:07:02

kazuo
Website

You can buy a laptop and ask for a refund. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_refund

I don't think that "blank disk" from a major vendor is possible, because I think that giving a blank system to the casual user is gonna freak them out.

In my country (Brazil) we had a vendor (Amazon PC) that sell laptops with a Linux pre-installed, this system never get touched by Microsoft products, i.e. Microsoft dont get any cent from your acquisition.

I think that the better options is asking for a refund, you probably will spend more money with lawyers than you get with the refund, but Redmond dont get that money (uhh.. but you need to first find a Windows-free lawyer or Redmond will get the money indirect by your lawyer use of its products)

#13 2010-07-21 20:02:23

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Here's a link that might be useful

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NO … ufacturers

Forum Rules

#14 2010-07-21 22:52:18

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

In my country the Windows OS on the laptop normally costs the equivalent of 2 USD all-in. Its heavily 'subsidised' by Microsoft, as I understand. And the laptops with linux pre-installed or FreeDOS tend to have crappier specs....

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#15 2010-07-21 22:55:27

thisoldman

Have you tried Google using "no os laptop"?

#16 2010-07-22 00:27:19

eldragon

you could always claim for the refund. there are some succesful stories all around.

whats the difference what linux distro they come with?
try system76 which sell ubuntu notebooks. steep though.

#17 2010-07-23 14:54:54

oupsemma

Some US vendors sell completely naked laptops, with no OS at all: http://www.pcsforeveryone.com/Article/Linux

The following post embeds a few links to sites that might interest you: http://usalug.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php? … a54b91dd61
especially this one: http://lxer.com/module/db/index.php?dbn=14
or this one (click on "choose your OS", there's a "no OS" option at affordable prices): http://zareason.com/shop/product.php?pr … 250&page=1

#18 2010-07-23 15:35:16

rusty99

Just be aware that Dell may play their usual crap about refunds http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/03/18 … ws_7_free/

Board footer