You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-23 16:55:08

ironhoof

Love Arch! - I need something it seems...

I have only been using Linux all together for 3 months now. I have 2 computers with double boots.

I just installed Arch on my second computer as its main OS. I love it was easy to install and everything.

I like Enlightenment which is why I used Arch to begin with (Beause I heard good things about the combination).

Anyway this brings me to only one small problem and I checked carefully all my packages, checked forums, then checked the repository. There, on the bottom, it said the needed package was removed
go ask and see if someone has a copy of it.

So does anyone have the Entrance package for Enlightenment?
I can get by without it but I would really like to have it so the install looks complete.

I love Arch Linux though! Its great!

-IronHoof

#2 2010-07-23 17:13:51

karol
Archivist

Re: Love Arch! - I need something it seems...

#3 2010-07-23 17:28:22

ironhoof

Oooo, Yea I didn't see that one. Thanks though!

#4 2010-07-23 19:05:32

pressh
Developer/TU

ironhoof wrote:

fyi, entrance login manager was deprecated quite some time ago already by upstream, I doubt you can even build it against the current svn state of enlightenment without heavy patching.

#5 2010-07-24 10:44:06

karol
Archivist

pressh wrote:
ironhoof wrote:

fyi, entrance login manager was deprecated quite some time ago already by upstream, I doubt you can even build it against the current svn state of enlightenment without heavy patching.

Oh yea, that's one of the things you need to learn about Linux: today we're all using 'foo', in a year, nobody will be using it anymore, we'll be using 'bar'. If you still want to use 'foo' - you/re on your own.

I'm not saying it's not possible, but it may not be easy.

#6 2010-07-24 14:24:45

antis

I am using slim as login manager together with enlightenment. With the black archlinux theme it is looking really good and blends in with the rest of enlightenment in a fine way. You should give it a try!

#7 2010-07-24 15:20:37

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Slim's development has stopped too AFAIK smile...

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#8 2010-07-24 15:37:23

skottish
Forum Fellow

Slim was unique in that it was the only login manager in the history of mankind that could draw 100% CPU power while sitting around waiting for keyboard input.

#9 2010-07-24 15:45:08

pressh
Developer/TU

karol wrote:
pressh wrote:
ironhoof wrote:

Oh yea, that's one of the things you need to learn about Linux: today we're all using 'foo', in a year, nobody will be using it anymore, we'll be using 'bar'. If you still want to use 'foo' - you/re on your own.

I'm not saying it's not possible, but it may not be easy.

well yeah, but I doubt that is much linux related, applications get deprecated all the time on all platforms. The good thing about open source is that you can continue the project if you like. As for a project in alpha state you can't really expect a stable set of packages, things get changed/added/deleted all the time.

As for entrance, it never quite worked for a lot of people. The code was considered that horrible that it was not worth it to fix the standing issues and it would be better for the project to create a new login manager from scratch. This though, will most likely not happen before the first stable enlightenment dr17 release.

#10 2010-07-24 16:12:43

Llama
Banned

pressh wrote:

fyi, entrance login manager was deprecated quite some time ago already by upstream

What's then the recommended one?

#11 2010-07-24 19:55:21

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Llama wrote:
pressh wrote:

fyi, entrance login manager was deprecated quite some time ago already by upstream

Recommendation differ from people to people.

I would recommend reaching the CLI and entering your user and password, then either typing in "startx" OR having an auto login script in your .bash_profile according to the Wiki article. Yet another way is to auto login to X for any 1 particular user again the article for which is in the wiki.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#12 2010-07-25 05:20:18

trusktr
Banned
Website

I love Arch too! e17 seems interesting...

joe@trusktr.io - joe at true skater dot io.

#13 2010-07-26 01:05:15

jwbirdsong

Llama wrote:
pressh wrote:

if you really really MUST have one try Ghost's cdm found HERE 
Links to AUR pkgs are on that page.

PLEASE read and try to FIX/FILE BUGS instead of assuming other have/will.

#14 2010-07-26 01:37:37

Cookie

lxdm is another choice for display manager, I've gone from slim > lxdm > nothing tongue

Linux nabcake in training...
ArchLinux64

#15 2010-07-28 04:54:35

ironhoof

Well I decided to go with slim with auto log in. Then I decided since I started in DOS to begin with... the CLI was not so bad.
Its not like typing startx requires a lot of effort, besides if someone doesn't know what they are doing they don't belong on my computer. : ) Thanks for all the information though! I really am grateful!

Board footer