You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-24 17:12:46

binskipy2u
Banned

Arch + XFCE 64bit questions..

I am using KDE.. i don't care for the effects and all the extra "stuff" in kde..
so i was wondering, while it took me a LONG time( dont ask) to learn how to install arch, configure arch etc..
how do you install a base system + xfce.. i was reading this part of the wiki..

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xfce

so install the base system from ftp (thats what I done before)
then when you are at your cli ...
is it as easy as..

pacman -S xorg xf86-video-ati xfce4 xfce4-goodies

then when its done.. configure the dameons to start up, and if i follow the wiki on the above article.. thats it?
(besides of course installing everything I want)?

just wondering.. I know it seemed like alot of work to install kde for me..but i just want a fast system.. and being since i have 6 gigs ram, dual channel + 256mb ati 2400 hd card  if i disable swap (swappiness=0) it should be a REALLY fast and responsive system

I hope I asked this question right.. not that I dont feel like reading, im printing up the wiki now.. but i dont need all the intergration..
proberly just one app per task.. like the zenwalk philosophy..should be a kick arse system right?

if anyone has any suggestions configuring  a basic system w/xfce4 that made the wiki easier to understand or more responsiveness/functionality.. please let me know..
thanks

Last edited by binskipy2u (2010-07-25 03:19:07)

"Sometimes you comfort the afflicted, other times you AFFLICT the COMFORTABLE"

#2 2010-07-24 17:16:47

karol
Archivist

Re: Arch + XFCE 64bit questions..

> pacman -S xorg xf86-video-ati xfce4 xfce4-goodies
> it seemed like alot of work to install kde for me
xfce is a fair bit lighter so that might be it, but I've never tried doing it.

#3 2010-07-24 19:46:27

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

If its the same machine you are installing on, you can simply remove kde and install xfce...that way your system is already configured and you still have all the apps you need.
You already have xorg and all the video drivers etc . You are simply changing the desktop enviroment/window manager.

I am not sure why you want to re-install the whole damn thing. Unless you want "every single file related to kde" off of your machine. Honestly, you can do that as well, if you are diligent enough.

Last edited by Inxsible (2010-07-24 19:48:00)

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#4 2010-07-24 19:50:56

binskipy2u
Banned

I have this terrible habit of fixing what isnt broken.. i have kde full install.. and 6 gigs rams dual channel, and no swap file.. swapiness=0  kde is not bad at all.. i have all eyecandy disabled.. dont know if i'm even going to do this.. just wanted to get some advice, along with googling and 2 videos i watched (along with powerpill) they installed xfce in 9 min (on the video anyway, it was still FAST) just gathering extra information from people with experience.. and see what they have to add to the wiki's experience of installing xfce, if that makes sense?

"Sometimes you comfort the afflicted, other times you AFFLICT the COMFORTABLE"

#5 2010-07-24 19:56:20

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

binskipy2u wrote:

...... if that makes sense?

Yes and no actually tongue

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#6 2010-07-25 17:39:05

Vamp898
Website

I know it seemed like alot of work to install kde for me..

pacman -S xorg xf86-video-whatever kde-meta

?? doesnt look like _that_ much work. Sure there is even a easier way via brain/telepathy control but... its nost usable yet... and will not be in the next 20 years

but if you dont want to install a full kde you have to do

pacman -S xorg xf86-video-whatever kdebase

which is 1 letter shorter than the full-blown variant (to type) so that is still easy. But you´re right, to type xfce4 you just need 5 letters and thats a lot faster to type.

No fun by side, its neither hard to install XFCE, nor KDE nor GNOME nor somethings else.

To install them there is more or less the exactly same work. To configure them is something different wink

if you dont like KDE i would consider you to try GNOME first becease it have a bit more "luxus" than XFCE. Some things in XFCE are really annoying (like putting a Application from the menu to the taskbar. You have to create a launcher by hand instead of just drag&drop (like GNOME))

#7 2010-07-26 14:28:40

valium97582

Or just go tiling, or e17, which is getting really really stable, if you dare.

I'm also known as zmv on IRC.

#8 2010-07-27 04:49:16

Intrepid

If you truly want to rid yourself of KDE depends but still have a DE, you can go Lxde/Xfce4 with slim.  Just make sure you properly set up inittab (or the daemons) to use SLiM correctly.  It doesn't take hardly any work at all if your X11 drivers work fine!

xfce4-session is the command you will be using.  However honestly I recommend lxde over Xfce any day.

Last edited by Intrepid (2010-07-27 04:54:29)

Intrepid (adj.): Resolutely courageous; fearless.

Board footer