You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-12 17:00:32

ilusi0n

Some questions about laptop and storage manager

Hey guys

I search before posting but there was so much topics and mostly doubts that I got confused.
My doubts is about hal... most about mount and unmount cd, dvd's and storage manager.

I think this is important but I'm using openbox. The way I mount the stuff is using hal together with thunar-volman.
Well I saw that hal is starting to be out of options. Starts to be a old options and is not maintained.
I wanted to know if I (we) should forget about hal and start using another alternatives/replacements?

I saw about udev rules but well is if mounted I don't think we can unmount then right? And then there is nor warnings is somethign is automounted and etc. Then I heard about udisks but I didn't find much info about it (probably is a new replacement for hal?). Yes for I know this I did some research but it wasn't enough sad
I really don't know any others alternatives but I really wanted to get informed of this.

Another question is about laptops...

I use a laptop and I'm very happy with arch on it. I wanted to know if is recomended to use something like laptop-mode-tools in our system? (is the only one I know, I don't know is there is other alternatives). It really worth it using something like that? Because I use gnome-power-manager but I don't think that is enough probably.

Thanks, take care.

#2 2010-08-12 17:31:22

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: Some questions about laptop and storage manager

hal has been deprecated, but doesn't mean it still cannot be used. But these days udev is probably the way to go for auto mouting of devices. 

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ude … SB_devices

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

Board footer