You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-13 23:06:05

psycroptic

netcfg laptop wireless - "DHCP ip lease attempt failed"??

hey folks. just loaded arch onto a toshiba laptop. in the process of configuring wireless, i followed the netcfg config instructions in the wiki. It worked fine the first time, but when I rebooted every subsequent time i tried to connect I get the "DHCP IP lease attempt failed" error. IN my logs i get absolutely nothing helpful - just "wlan0: rebinding lease of 172.16.0.138" and "wlan0: timed out". Of course, when I had Windows XP on the laptop it had zero problems connecting to the network, and it makes no damn sense why I was able to connect intially but each time after that it times out. My router has no problems.

I did a forum search and someone suggested that this was because of a "bug" and to delete the file "/var/lib/dhcpcd/dhcpcd-wlan0.lease" file. I did this, and was able to connect successfully. But this is not a solution; am I really supposed to delete the lease EVERY time I reconnect/reboot the machine? Doesn't make any sense at all.

Can ANYONE please help on this? I can post whatever config file/log info you need. This seems like it should be a simple setup, but I've come to realize nothing's ever simple in the linux world.... btw my network uses WPA2. There wasn't anything in the wiki about WPA2 (must be really really old, huh?); could this be part of the problem?

#2 2010-08-14 01:08:53

firecat53
Website

Re: netcfg laptop wireless - "DHCP ip lease attempt failed"??

Yeah, I've noticed that problem as well, but been too busy to submit a bug report...I either
a. delete the .lease file or, more commonly
b. setup a static ip for that network -- this also connects very quickly

Sorry -- I know not a solution, but....  :-)

Scott

#3 2010-08-14 03:17:24

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

its a known bug. But its not a major one, since it only seems to throw out a wrong error but nothing is actually wrong with netcfg. let me see if I can dredge up a thread relating to the same issue way back when

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#4 2010-08-14 10:47:01

alexandrite

Alternatively, try adding

PRE_UP=' [ -e /var/lib/dhcpcd/dhcpcd-wlan0.lease ] && rm /var/lib/dhcpcd/dhcpcd-wlan0.lease '

to the profile with the problem.

Edit: I misspelled "dhcpcd" in the code above.

Last edited by alexandrite (2010-08-15 14:54:33)

Board footer