You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-16 17:21:08

unhammer
Website

getting "noname" as hostname

Hi, my router shows my Arch Linux machine as "noname" instead of its real host name from my /etc/rc.conf. I've tried

dhcpcd --release ath0
dhcpcd -h $HOSTNAME

as per the wiki, but still it shows as noname. Anyone got any suggestions for what to do? The router is a Fritz!Box FonWLAN.

(I'd like to have a hostname to connect to using ssh, instead of having to use the IP)

#2 2010-08-16 17:26:37

hokasch

Re: getting "noname" as hostname

Is your hostname set up correctly in /etc/hosts?

#3 2010-08-16 19:27:10

unhammer
Website

hokasch wrote:

Is your hostname set up correctly in /etc/hosts?

http://paste.pocoo.org/show/251009/ does that look OK?

#4 2010-08-16 20:06:43

knopwob
Website

Hey,

My fritzbox allways stores the first hostname ever got from a machine. To change a hostname i have to change it also in the settings of the fritzbox.

#5 2010-08-16 20:08:30

Awebb

knopwob wrote:

Hey,

My fritzbox allways stores the first hostname ever got from a machine. To change a hostname i have to change it also in the settings of the fritzbox.

Does this mean it also broadcasts this name in the internal DNS? This might be an explanation why I cannot connect to other machines in my home network using hostnames.

#6 2010-08-16 21:54:17

knopwob
Website

Awebb wrote:
knopwob wrote:

Hey,

Does this mean it also broadcasts this name in the internal DNS? This might be an explanation why I cannot connect to other machines in my home network using hostnames.

yes, exactly. Since i syncronised the hostnames configured in the fritzbox with the real hostnames i can address my computers via their hostnames. Before that it only worked with ip-addresses.

#7 2010-08-17 06:49:01

unhammer
Website

knopwob wrote:

Hey,

Ah…I don't think that's possible with my fritzbox (plain Fon WLAN Annex B, no product number, Firmware version 08.04.49). Maybe I'll have to try a full Factory Settings wipe of it some day.

I'm not completely convinced the fritzbox is my (only) problem though; the noname lasted through changing my network card, which I guess should change the Mac address, and the hostname was definitely set at that time.

#8 2010-09-04 13:34:28

unhammer
Website

unhammer wrote:
knopwob wrote:

Hey,

Ah…I don't think that's possible with my fritzbox (plain Fon WLAN Annex B, no product number, Firmware version 08.04.49). Maybe I'll have to try a full Factory Settings wipe of it some day.

I'm not completely convinced the fritzbox is my (only) problem though; the noname lasted through changing my network card, which I guess should change the Mac address, and the hostname was definitely set at that time.

I just installed Arch Linux on my Macbook, making sure that the hostname was set correctly before attempting to connect to the network; now my Fritz!Box shows two nonames where it used to show "macbook" and "noname" :-/

Board footer