You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-19 00:32:49

guidito73

Removing Gnome and Installing KDE

Hi there people. I'd like to remove Gnome and install KDE without doing a fresh install.

What I want to know if there's some way to remove also Gnome programs and libraries that I won't use in KDE and that doesn't come with the gnome metapackage (I'm asuming Pacman will remove all of it with -Rs, right?)

Thanks in advance!

#2 2010-08-19 01:51:18

flamelab

Re: Removing Gnome and Installing KDE

You can completelly (I mean it) uninstall GNOME with

pacman -Rcns gnome

that will uninstall gnome and the orphans that were depending on gnome (such as independent gnome apps, like Docky)

then pacman -S kde and that's all.

#3 2010-08-19 02:00:11

guidito73

flamelab wrote:

pacman -Rcns gnome

that will uninstall gnome and the orphans that were depending on gnome (such as independent gnome apps, like Docky)

Thank you very much, sir. I'll try it tonight and then post results for the record big_smile

EDIT: by the way, can I do it all on the fly? Running Gnome and all? Or should I do it without starting X?

Last edited by guidito73 (2010-08-19 02:01:13)

#4 2010-08-19 02:36:52

cesura
Package Maintainer (PM)

guidito73 wrote:
flamelab wrote:

pacman -Rcns gnome

Thank you very much, sir. I'll try it tonight and then post results for the record big_smile

EDIT: by the way, can I do it all on the fly? Running Gnome and all? Or should I do it without starting X?

Technically, you can do it while X is open because all of the X/GNOME stuff is already loaded into memory.

#5 2010-08-19 03:21:03

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Also refer to our excellent wiki for information.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#6 2010-08-19 03:24:37

cesura
Package Maintainer (PM)

Inxsible wrote:

Also refer to our excellent wiki for information.

Or:

man pacman

wink

#7 2010-08-19 08:25:05

arinlares
Website

guidito73 wrote:

The biggest issue I've had was a repeating crash/error message from X when I tried to stop the GDM (2.3?) daemon resulting in me having to hard-reset my computer.  If you plan on keeping GDM, this isn't an issue, however, and you can just ignore this post, only offering a heads-up.

#8 2010-08-19 14:15:36

drcouzelis
Website

I recently switched from GNOME to KDE. I did it in TTY1. (ctrl + alt + 1)

Removing GNOME was easy enough. At first I decided to install KDE piece by piece, depending on what I needed. After a little bit (less than a day) I decided it would be easier to install "all" of KDE and just remove the parts I didn't need. It ended up being a good experience. Took me forever to get KDE to look nice, though...

As a side note, at first I was all excited to use "KDE applications" for everything, but then I realized that some of the non-KDE applications I was using before were the best for what I wanted to do. For that reason, I still use Pidgin instead of Kopete, QMPDClient instead of Sonata, OpenOffice instead of KOffice, Brasero instead of K3B, and Thunderbird instead of Kmail. Of course I also started using some KDE applications and really like Konsole, Kwrite, Kate, and Dolphin, among others.

#9 2010-08-19 15:25:08

gabriel9

K3B is nice app, you should try it.

"The flesh knows it suffers even when the mind has forgotten."

#10 2010-08-19 16:10:30

flamelab

drcouzelis wrote:

I recently switched from GNOME to KDE. I did it in TTY1. (ctrl + alt + 1)

Removing GNOME was easy enough. At first I decided to install KDE piece by piece, depending on what I needed. After a little bit (less than a day) I decided it would be easier to install "all" of KDE and just remove the parts I didn't need. It ended up being a good experience. Took me forever to get KDE to look nice, though...

As a side note, at first I was all excited to use "KDE applications" for everything, but then I realized that some of the non-KDE applications I was using before were the best for what I wanted to do. For that reason, I still use Pidgin instead of Kopete, QMPDClient instead of Sonata, OpenOffice instead of KOffice, Brasero instead of K3B, and Thunderbird instead of Kmail. Of course I also started using some KDE applications and really like Konsole, Kwrite, Kate, and Dolphin, among others.

Try Kmess instead of Pidgin (the stable -git version from aur). It is really nice.

#11 2010-08-19 16:38:00

drcouzelis
Website

gabriel9 wrote:

K3B is nice app, you should try it.

I did try it. Brasero works the best for me. The point of my post was that I recommend using that software that works the best for you and instead of thinking "I will use KDE applications just because I'm using KDE". The original poster shows no signs of thinking that way, but it was something I experienced whet I made the switch.

If you're not talking to me and instead are saying guidito should try it, then I'm sorry, never mind my comment here. tongue

flamelab wrote:

Try Kmess instead of Pidgin (the stable -git version from aur). It is really nice.

Thank you for the suggestion. I use the MSN, Google chat, and Facebook chat protocols, so Kmess wouldn't suit my needs. Pidgin works very well for me.

#12 2010-08-19 17:11:48

gabriel9

I have talked to everybody, K3B for me is the only burning app which don't destroy my media. smile

"The flesh knows it suffers even when the mind has forgotten."

#13 2010-08-19 22:27:19

Eld

drcouzelis wrote:
flamelab wrote:

Thank you for the suggestion. I use the MSN, Google chat, and Facebook chat protocols, so Kmess wouldn't suit my needs. Pidgin works very well for me.

What's wrong with kopete ? It supports those protocols too.

#14 2010-08-20 03:41:03

ctown.myth

Kopete is mind-numbingly slow (at least on my machine).

AKA MyCookie!

#15 2010-08-20 04:06:29

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Please keep the thread on topic. If someone needs suggestions for applications, our wiki has pages for General Applications and Lightweight Applications. Do not hijack the thread.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#16 2010-08-20 07:16:41

ctown.myth

Inxsible wrote:

Please keep the thread on topic. If someone needs suggestions for applications, our wiki has pages for General Applications and Lightweight Applications. Do not hijack the thread.

*eep!* Sorry.

Back on topic, if you want to have some sort of a uniform look between Gtk and Qt, I'd reccommed gtk-kde4. However OpenOffice doesn't like to work well with any sort of Qt looks.

(wait, that is still on topic right?)

AKA MyCookie!

#17 2010-08-20 10:13:23

Vamp898
Website

first of all, you should remove GNOME with

pacman -Rcns gnome gnome-extra

then you should install KDE with

pacman -S kde-meta instead of pacman -S kde

third

aur/oxygen-molecule-theme 3.2-1 [installed] (154)
    A KDE4 Oxygen theme for GTK+ apps.
extra/gtk-theme-switch2 2.1.0-1 [installed]
    Gtk2 theme switcher

install both packages, than start gtk-theme-switch2 and set GTK+ look to molecule.

Believe me they look 98% than KDE Applications then <3 and every applications work awesome with it smile

in addition you can install this in Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/59338/ its really really awesome. Sometimes i really think "Damm why does he opened Konqueror now" and then i see "Hey its just Firefox with its awesome KDE Integration"

K3B works much better than Brasero for me. I had a really lod of crashes, especially when burning Video-CDs/DVDs with brasero.

Last edited by Vamp898 (2010-08-20 18:17:08)

Board footer